Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    It does sound like the Basport is better with more setback and less lip..
    Have not heard much about my Prosport yet..

WHAT SAY YE ???

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    It does sound like the Basport is better with more setback and less lip..
    Have not heard much about my Prosport yet..

WHAT SAY YE ???
    What he said!

3. Member
    Dan I say ye need to come south and bring that Prosport with you. We will find the answer before you head back home.

yep johnny stubborn to a fault sometimes. if theirs a will theirs a way. the way i look at it is its my life i'll do what i want or at least what I can with it.
    xb-21 prosport 225 pro xs

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Maxwell View Post
    Dan I say ye need to come south and bring that Prosport with you. We will find the answer before you head back home.
    You gonna add a couple more inches of setback for me? :D

I personally think the lip jury is stillout.

I called the plant and discussed bringing myboat in and having the lip modified when I first found out about thechange. After discussing the specifics of my boat and what I was lookingfor I was advised not to bring it in. I wasn't going to see any improvements.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

My boat will porpoise at slow speeds. Tucking the motor clears it that or giving it some gas. When I tube with the kids I run almost full tuck and can cruise between 20-30mph without an issue. My side imaging isn't in the water on plane, so tubing is the only slow cruising I do. 40 and over I won't see it. I always run with a tournament load, but I don't think that is as heavy as you run based on some discussions we have had.

I run 10.5" of setback now and had 8",8.5", and 9"(very short period of time). I saw no gains goingfrom 8.5" to 10.5" (top speed, low speed cruise, rough water handling,or porpoise). The only thing that got better was 5-90 times. I log a lot of data and in all that testing it turned out that I never triedrunning my motor over 1/2" at 8.5" of setback. I think my timeswould have been just as quick had I tried 3/4" over at 8.5". Not going back to 8.5" as I'm dialed in and very comfortable with my setup now.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

Just an observation...seems the weight difference in the bow area causes the Prosport to porpoise. I know in my parking my boat along side a Pro that both sat relatively flat on the water compared to the ProSport. I believe the open space under the bow on the ProSport compared to the fixed compartments on the 2+2 and Pro will be where the difference is found. My suggestion is to gas it and hang on lol

P.S.
    I do not run wedges and have 8" setback and can run 18-19 on plane without porpoise with engine fully tucked. However mine lays over on the portside at those speeds until I bump up the trim a little which increases the speed or causes porpoise. Extreme engine height might be the culprit on mine as I have never lowered the engine and tested. I mainly run 1/2" above unless conditions don't allow.
    Last edited by tritontr21; 12-21-2017 at 12:28 PM.
    Jay McDaniel
    2003 Allison XB21 BasSport Elite 2+2
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

9. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    I will ask Steve Jarrell if the prosport hull can have a trimmed lip and extended setback.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

10. Member
    If the ProSport's big console acts anything like it's little brother the XB2003.....I'd think the shaved lip would be more beneficial above 90 on the ProSport.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TB21 View Post
    If the ProSport's big console acts anything like it's little brother the XB2003.....I'd think the shaved lip would be more beneficial above 90 on the ProSport.
    Uh-huh.................the nose starting to drop at speeds over 90 is not a good feeling.

12. Member
    The few times ive been oiver 90 i didn't notice any abnormal feeling movements or nose dropping.

Quote Originally Posted by NOTGSXR View Post
    The few times ive been oiver 90 i didn't notice any abnormal feeling movements or nose dropping.
    because it doesn't happen. The bubble isn't 90 it's around 98/99. On my boat anyway.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by River Rocket View Post
    because it doesn't happen. The bubble isn't 90 it's around 98/99. On my boat anyway.
    Don't think I'm goin there anytime soon lol

15. Member
    I'm actually amazed how smooth and well manered high 80's and low 90's is... i was casually talking @ 87.5 to the guy i was giving a lift to the other ramp after i towed them to a different ramp. In what other Bass boat is that even pissible?

16. Member
    There's no casual talk in mine at 87.5 but that's ok.

17. Member
    As you all know I am not a Ally owner but I have a question. What is the down side of sanding the lip in half or just removing it. A few years ago there were a couple of guys working on their 2003's in that area and found some addition speed. Not sure how it affects the porpoise at low speed but I would think that the lip would push the bow down at speed while removing it would let it lift and free the hull up. Not sure how much they took off. I haven't seen where anyone has modified the 21 footer but I would think a smaller lip or no lip would free up the hull. Again I'm not trying to tell anyone how to set up the Ally, I'm just curious and looking for more information. I run a foil and can keep on top at 13-15 mph with 17" setback. I also run Bailey hole shot plate that allows me to run props up to a 34 P3 with 1.62's at elevation. Not looking to stir the pot just curious what the impact is and why Allison has started changing the lip on the newer rigs if it's a bad thing.

18. Member
    To me there was a big improvement in the bow lift by removing part of the lip. Boat feels looser. Not sure I would want it to be looser or more flighty than it is. I didn’t notice much of a speed increase from the lip mod.
    Last edited by hooken203; 12-22-2017 at 08:26 AM.

19. Member
    Kevin.. do y ou feel it was an improvement?

I feel it has been proven that the Prosport runs faster with the windshield removed, simply because it pushes the nose down at speed. For me that is not an option except to play and I don't do much of that anymore.
    Since the lip also pushes the nose down..In my simple brain it makes since that removing some lip would help.. ..However it could be an incident waiting for an opportunity..

Have a new foil but have not ran it ---- should solve my porpoise issue while graphing... Last time I used one was on the 2003 ... Removed it after running some BIG waves. Going to Amistad after Christmas -- always some BIG waves on that lake to find out....

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast