AGM or Conventional Cranking Battery

We are purchasing a pontoon boat with Mercury 115hp PROXS 4 stroke. We plan to swim off the boat with a radio on. What battery would you get an AGM or conventional cranking and what is the advantages or disadvantages of each. We were told the upgrade would be $100 for an AGM.

I'm no battery expert but I have AGM because I have a hard time checking water in them , they are hard to get to . I would go the extra $100.00 .Thats a fair price .

3. Member
    Main advantage to AGM on aluminum boats is they are not going to overflow or spill acid on your aluminum causing etching or worse, corrosion. the biggest advantage I am seeing since switching over the AGM is they are holding a charge longer than the last wet cell I have in the boat longer based one how long it takes to top all three off when I plug them in after sitting idle in the garage. The AGM's go green light almost immediately. The AGM at Sam's are right at 100.00 more that the same size wet cell.

Sam’s Club has a $25.00 discount on their Marine AGM batteries right now. 31 series for $154.00 is a steal.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

AGM hand down, better all around battery.

6. Member
    On the cranking/house battery, get the AGM -- but if you're going to have a radio on, and possibly other items drawing current, you may want to consider a separate/additional AGM for a house battery.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

7. Member
    You probably don't need AGM you need larger capacity, why not add another battery in parallel? I never had good luck with AGM, maybe that is just me, but running radio is low amp draw, AGM would make sense if it was a large amp draw.
    Shibs
    Crestliner 1700 with 90 hp 4S (2016)
    Avid spoonplugger and student of Buck Perry.
    Fish out of Muskegon Lake, MI

Onix 10 SI

AGM is a better battery. Then you don’t need to add water makes it a winner.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

If you have to store your boat for any length of time you don't have to keep charging an AGM battery......put it away charged and it'll be fine come Spring.