Thread: Addiction

Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar

Addiction

How many have more crappie jigs and baits than you will ever use in the next 100 years and still continue to buy more? I have never had an addiction like crappie fishing! I will stop at a gas station to get gas and walk by the tackle section and pick up a new color of bobby garlands every single time!!!!!!!! Lately I have been buying and using another brand of bait as well similar to Bobby Garland called "koops Crappie Killers". He has a website and sells all over the country but just so happens to be from a town about 10 minutes away and on my way to the lake. I also have recently bought from "Team Ricky Jigs" out of Texas as well as bought several "bonehead" baits as well. There is a local guy here who owns a tackle shop about a mile from where I work and he is always tying me a new color of hair jigs as well. I try and fish 1-2 days a week and try and use different things all the time. Am I alone?

2. Member
    No, but it is not just Crappie fishing. I think 'fishing' is another word for 'addiction'.

3. Member
    I'm addicted also, hundred different colors and use about three when I fish.
    2016 Phoenix 819 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    Kenny

4. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbob View Post
    I'm addicted also, hundred different colors and use about three when I fish.
    Yep! I try and make myself use different colors all the time even if they are biting something specific.

5. Member
    My last order made to tackle trap was for 145 packs of Bobby Garland baby shad. So yes, I do think that buying fishing gear is addictive even moreso for crappie baits since their cheap.

6. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HokieV20 View Post
    My last order made to tackle trap was for 145 packs of Bobby Garland baby shad. So yes, I do think that buying fishing gear is addictive even moreso for crappie baits since their cheap.
    Good lord!!!

I could open up a bait shop easily.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

8. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamblinman View Post
    I could open up a bait shop easily.
    My wife tells me the same thing!!!

9. Member
    Iv'e probably got 15 to 20 thousand baits, i used to buy them by the thousand pkg. On top of all those tubes iv'e got just as much invested in Strike King, Bobby Garland and a myriad of others. If you have the addiction as bad as me take a look at G-Daddy baits from Oklahoma and Top Secret Jigs right here in Topeka, two of the best custom bait makers i know of. I need help!!!

10. Member
    I like using netbait paca chunks for trailers and to burn thru grass. Came across a good deal on them from 1 of my connections and have close to 400 unopened packs in a storage bin. Senkos I usually order 30 packs a time of certain colors I use the most. Just hope if something happens to me my wife has someone trustfull to price everything for sale.

11. Member
    I would not want to admit in front of the wife just how many years' worth of tubes, grubs, ct's and sliders I have in reserve. Since I starting tying last year, I now find I am rapidly approaching similar ground with those too. At this age, I will never run out I think she is starting to figure out who is going to have to deal with this some day. btw Heading for the bench in a bit

12. Member
    Couple years ago we got on a awsome bite using little Joe's "thumping shad". Wal-Mart sold them and when we found out they had been discontinued we drove to every wallyworld within 2hrs of my house and bought them out. Sad thing is the damn picky crappie where I fish hasn't touched them since that year. So now I have a lifetime supply of them and can't get bit. If I remember correctly they came in packs of 8. I have an entire gallon sized ziplock full of them in pearl.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HokieV20 View Post
    Couple years ago we got on a awsome bite using little Joe's "thumping shad". Wal-Mart sold them and when we found out they had been discontinued we drove to every wallyworld within 2hrs of my house and bought them out. Sad thing is the damn picky crappie where I fish hasn't touched them since that year. So now I have a lifetime supply of them and can't get bit. If I remember correctly they came in packs of 8. I have an entire gallon sized ziplock full of them in pearl.
    Been there too!! We should all get on here some day and do a plastics swap.

14. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    Been there too!! We should all get on here some day and do a plastics swap.
    I like that idea, may have to try it soon. I thought about a post called “ empty your tackle box”. Not all thof extras in the garage just your tackle box so everyone could see what your go to is.

15. Member
    Don't know how a plastics swap would work out. Since we're all bait hoarders, trades may be tough to do. Have a feeling that whenever I pass on my tackle room may be on a episode of "Hoarders buried Alive"

16. Member
    I have 22 soft sided worm bags with 12 pages of 12 different colors of the same style of baits. There are a minimum of 6600 baits in all 22 bags. That's just in the boat, I have 15 to 20 times that amount in the basement. I retired in September and wouldn't have to purchase another bait in my lifetime, that is my plan anyways!! I build custom rods and have about 40 of them downstairs and i have 93 blanks waiting to be built. I recently purchased the equipment and molds to pour my own crappie baits when the water freezes up i am going to be busy. I have had this fishing sickness my whole life, i need professional help!!!

17. Member
    What length rods do you custom build. I've tried many rods for my crappie fishing and found 1 that was my personal favorite. None of the others I've had has the same feel of it and it was irreplaceable to me. Unfortunate Sunday morning when taking my rods out of my locker when I shut the lid I broke it in half and as luck would have it , it's no longer made. Looking for something close to it for replacement.

18. Member
    I have built ice rods from 24 inches to dipping rods at 10 ft 6 inches. What rod did you break, i might be able to recommend something similar. There should be lots of builders close to you who could help you out. One of the advantages of using Dr. Bill Hannemans CCS system is a builder can match up all most any blank to your favorite rod.

I carry yellow, white, red, and black in 1/32 & 1/16 for the spinny pole. I don't even bother painting the heads anymore. For the fly rod I throw size 6 & 8 beadchain clousers in the same colors on a 3 or 4 wt. Could put everything I use in a day into an Altoids tin. (If I'm walking the bank, I do just that)

20. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post
    I carry yellow, white, red, and black in 1/32 & 1/16 for the spinny pole. I don't even bother painting the heads anymore. For the fly rod I throw size 6 & 8 beadchain clousers in the same colors on a 3 or 4 wt. Could put everything I use in a day into an Altoids tin. (If I'm walking the bank, I do just that)
    I usually fish unpainted heads as well. I have a few painted and find I switch baits to often and clash the colors to fish painted anyways.