Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    I try to fish Kerr at least once a year, went this past september blue bird day not expecting anything. We started at about 10 am and had one of my best days at kerr ever. Crazy for sure. It can fish like 2 different lakes on each day.

2. Member
    Been fishing Kerr for 40 yrs or better, IMO the increase in the blueback herring forage has really impacted the way they relate to cover in general. There are still some up shallow but not like the old days when you could whack em on a spinnerbait or lizard on just about every buck brush in the spring. This past nov I witnessed bass herding up 5-6" blue backs onto points to feed and then follow them off into deeper water. Still love to fish there just have to adjust tactics these days.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by o2bbassin View Post
    Been fishing Kerr for 40 yrs or better, IMO the increase in the blueback herring forage has really impacted the way they relate to cover in general. There are still some up shallow but not like the old days when you could whack em on a spinnerbait or lizard on just about every buck brush in the spring. This past nov I witnessed bass herding up 5-6" blue backs onto points to feed and then follow them off into deeper water. Still love to fish there just have to adjust tactics these days.
    I’ve thought the same thing with the herring over the past few years. I’ve read where a bass will swim by a school of gizzard or threadfin to get to one herring. I know it’s like that in the SC lakes that have them.
    And where did all the hydrilla in Nutbush go?? A few years back you could fish frogs on top of it and out in front of it along the channels and poof it’s gone.
    But anyway hopefully by this spring they’ll be done and the water will be back up in the bushes.
    Brian Howard
    2023 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2023 Mercury 225

4. Member
    They sprayed the hydrilla

5. Member
    They’ve been spraying the hydrilla in Gaston and stocking carp since the 90’s and it’s still there. A lot of pockets don’t have docks or even buoys so I’m surprised they’d spray them.
    I guess they got it right up there then cause nobody can find it even out deep.
    Brian Howard
    2023 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2023 Mercury 225

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chris c View Post
    They sprayed the hydrilla

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderman View Post
    I feel your pain!!!

Quote Originally Posted by howard47 View Post
    They’ve been spraying the hydrilla in Gaston and stocking carp since the 90’s and it’s still there. A lot of pockets don’t have docks or even buoys so I’m surprised they’d spray them.
    I guess they got it right up there then cause nobody can find it even out deep.
    if there is Hydrilla in Gaston lake right now I can’t find it...and I fish there 75x a year ...
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

9. Member
    Huh, we found it up the river last year out deeper. Yes it’s not everywhere like it used to be
    Supposedly the spots are biting like crazy up there now so I have hope for Gaston, it’s always been one of my least favorite lakes.
    Brian Howard
    2023 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2023 Mercury 225

10. Member
    I love fishing shallow but I have never had a good day when the water was around 303/304 fishing bushes. Lord knows I have tried. Have tried one end of the lake to the other. I guess once I figure it out it will be easier? I like it best in the fall.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5pigs View Post
    I love fishing shallow but I have never had a good day when the water was around 303/304 fishing bushes. Lord knows I have tried. Have tried one end of the lake to the other. I guess once I figure it out it will be easier? I like it best in the fall.

Yeah, I hear that quite a bit. All bushes are not created equal! I have certain stretches I fish and almost always catch them and you can certainly waste a day if you’re in the wrong areas. I learned years ago that I had to put away the flippin stick and throw something fast moving and cover a ton of water until I find the productive areas. Then I can slow down and pick it apart and it usually repeats every time the water is up.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chris c View Post
    Fishing bushes is just like fishing anything else in the lake, certain bushes hold fish better, some bushes just plain suck lol. Only way to know is to fish them
    Yep
    Brian Howard
    2023 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2023 Mercury 225

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5pigs View Post

I hear this from a lot of people. Those water levels are my favorite on the lake and I usually catch them pretty good at those levels. In the spring, the fish are usually always shallow, and the key is finding a pattern to find what bushes are holding fish. For example,sometimes the fish are in the bushes on points, backs of pockets, bushes mixed with rock, etc.. Sure you can catch fish by just fishing what looks good, but at 303 to 304, it all looks good and you can be in a bad area that looks good and waste half a day fishing there. I cover a lot of water and fish very fast while trying to establish a pattern. The thing I love about Buggs is that it is a good pattern lake.

14. Member
    By the looks of it its gonna be a while before anybody fishes any bushes. 293.9 this morning and Ive heard 292 is forecasted lake level

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Buggs247 View Post
    By the looks of it its gonna be a while before anybody fishes any bushes. 293.9 this morning and Ive heard 292 is forecasted lake level
    It will be back up by Mid March. No worries here.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    It will be back up by Mid March. No worries here.
    I agree, it always comes back up!!

17. Banned
    Or at least I hope so. For my sake.

18. Member
    And that takes us all the way back to my original question lol. Does anyone know if they'll be done with the power line repairs by then? If not then the Corps will let the water straight thru.
    Personally I'm hoping they're done long before March gets here too.
    Brian Howard
    2023 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2023 Mercury 225

19. Member
    They actually won’t let the water straight through due to striper spawn and something to do with the cypress trees that I can’t 100% remember all the info on that one, something about too much water in spring was hurting cypress trees

20. Member
    They can't flood the guys working in the lake either. Look at the picture on my original post, that was about a month ago at Flemingtown, that's why I'm wondering if anyone has heard a completion date to fix the erosion on the towers.
    Brian Howard
    2023 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2023 Mercury 225

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast