Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

First impressions of the new boat

Ok, yesterday I spent some time on the break in of the new motor on my Bassport. I noticed when I tested the boat in TX and so did Johnny Johnson, that this boat feels very light. Hard to really describe but very light is as good as I can describe it. It feels more like it weighs 1000 pounds than 1450. Nimble and sitting high is another way I suppose to say it. Secondly, yesterday I noticed that when you are at 4K to 5K rpms with the motor buried and trimmed as low as you can safely trim it without a Whiplash hook, the water noise under the driver/passenger seat area is super loud. I wonder if the build has changed to a thinner area there or what. My other boats were not that loud by a long shot. Not that I can't live with a little more noise but it is there and noticeable. I was running a 30 Bravo and when I pushed the rpm's up to 5,400, still buried all the way down on the jack, I was running 84 mph and had 26 psi water pressure. I believe it will be a great running boat, easy on fuel, and a joy to drive. No complaints on the boat at all at this points. Just some observations. I wonder if any of you have had similar experiences with your boats.

2. Member
    Do you have the new 10” setback with less lip?

That would make nose feel super light compared to traditional lip and 8.5” setback especially till you get some gear in it. Extra setback and less lip is for the Tim Powell tackle shop/36v troller loads

3. Member
    No. Extra setback and less lip is the only way to roll! IMO

4. Member
    Glad you hear that you actually have that boat in your possession and in the water. It's a beautiful ride & I bet it's a runner!
    2024 Xpress X21 / Yamaha 250 SHO
    2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite / 2022 Mercury 300R (Sold)

Are the new boats coming with less lip ?

6. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    Yes, the new lip is now in the new mold and the static set back plates are 4" instead of the original 2.5" of setback. With a CMC 5.5" and a 4" fixed plate on the transom it's a total of 9.5".

You running 1.75 gears??
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

7. Member
    With more set back and the lip mod i didn't go 1/2 a mile and it felt like a different boat. Exactly as you describe.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    Yes, the new lip is now in the new mold and the static set back plates are 4" instead of the original 2.5" of setback. With a CMC 5.5" and a 4" fixed plate on the transom it's a total of 9.5".

You running 1.75 gears??
    I'm running 1.62 gears. With the Allison Powerpole bracket there is an additional setback of 2" on top of the standard 2-1/2". So to be honest even though I have not measured the setback due to a lack of much time this week (that will change soon!) I believe I have closer to 12" of total setback. It does have the new lip for sure.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hooken203 View Post
    With more set back and the lip mod i didn't go 1/2 a mile and it felt like a different boat. Exactly as you describe.
    That is good to hear that I'm not crazy. LOL. Did you notice the water noise underfoot at about 3/4 throttle as I described too?

10. Member
    Joe, you know the fun I had getting this boat home, so you above all others know it was a miracle of sorts given the myriad of hoops and setbacks out of my control. But all is well and it does seem that it will be a pretty fast boat. I'm thinking this 30" wheel is going to be too small for top end running when the power poles are off. Maybe with them on! Unlike Powell and Woody, I know where the trim switch is! LOL

11. BBC SPONSOR
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

12. Member
    Johnny next time you take the boat out do me a favor and see how slow you can make it stay on plane without porpoising. After feeling how the additional setback and new lip feel I think I'd like that but mine has to be able to pull a couple little knuckleheads on a tube.

Johnny Johnson

13. BBC SPONSOR
    Mine loves 10" setback but I am still running the stock pad.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atcje View Post
    Johnny next time you take the boat out do me a favor and see how slow you can make it stay on plane without porpoising. After feeling how the additional setback and new lip feel I think I'd like that but mine has to be able to pull a couple little knuckleheads on a tube.
    I'll do that Johnny. Didn't you understand Key to say that the spacer had to be increased to 4" on the motor spacing? I know it was for the Allison power pole clearance even though he said something a bit different. If it is 4" then the setback is 12" right?

15. BBC SPONSOR
    The new boats with less lip have a 4" spacer, 5.5" cmc hydro plate, and 1/2" wedge.
    Fastbass Marine LLC

2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

16. Member
    Johnny yes I notice that there is more noise from the hull. With less lip I think the bow lifts more so that water is hitting in a different place so you hear that water slapping more.

17. Member
    I have the 4” spacers and sanded lip on my Bassport with dual PP’s so the nose tends to get light in a hurry. It takes much less trim to get on pad than with the 2.5” spacers. I tried a 27 Fury prop and thought it was going to flip over backwards the nose got so light. However I am very happy with the 4” spacers; just put in less trim.
    2013 Allison BasSport Pro
    2010 Mercury 250 Pro XS

18. Member
    By the way, congrats on the new boat Johnny! Can’t wait to see it. Why don’t you drive it across the lake so I can get a look!
    2013 Allison BasSport Pro
    2010 Mercury 250 Pro XS

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Maxwell View Post
    I'm running 1.62 gears. With the Allison Powerpole bracket there is an additional setback of 2" on top of the standard 2-1/2". So to be honest even though I have not measured the setback due to a lack of much time this week (that will change soon!) I believe I have closer to 12" of total setback. It does have the new lip for sure.

I'm confused....if you have the allison PPL brackets, which are mounted on the transom not on the JP, then how do you have an extra 2 inches of setback because of the power poles??

If what TP just said is true, then you have the 4" plate, 5.5" CMC and I guess they are still installing the 1/2" wedge, so you have 10" overall??
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

20. Member
    Johnny, how is your hole shot with a 30P bravo, 1.62 gears and power poles on a 300XS?? I get more and more confused on a regular basis reading all these different posts with different results running the same gears and motors???
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast