Thread: transom saver

transom saver

Anyone using a Largemouth Lou transom saver?
    Thinking of replacing my aluminum transom saver that saddles over trailer roller and grips below cavitation plate.

Thanks

2. Bobby8
    I have it. Just drove from VA to TX with no issues.

3. Member
    I have had two. The first one broke after a couple of years but I suspect I did not have the motor snugly down. I liked it enough to get a second one although I have heard of others breaking. I think they only have them for Mercury motors.

4. Member
    If I could hijack your post, Does anyone know if BCB is good with anything not going to the trailer? Also, what is a good one for a Yamaha 250?

5. Member
    It is great. I went through 2 of the regular ones. Since I got this one I love it.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

6. Member
    Are they in stock?

7. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    BCB recommends the traditional transom saver. They also recommend the Lou's saver. I now use a Lou's. I sure can't see how anyone cold break one though. I've not checked lately but BCB usually has them in stock. I don't know if Lou makes one for a Yamaha or not.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billius View Post
    BCB recommends the traditional transom saver. They also recommend the Lou's saver. I now use a Lou's. I sure can't see how anyone cold break one though. I've not checked lately but BCB usually has them in stock. I don't know if Lou makes one for a Yamaha or not.
    This argument goes on forever like the chicken and the egg controversy. I adhere to the BCB policy. 30 years, my motor didn't fall off yet.

9. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    This argument goes on forever like the chicken and the egg controversy. I adhere to the BCB policy. 30 years, my motor didn't fall off yet.
    It surely does go on and on. I too always have used the traditional saver or the Lou's Saver.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

10. Member
    I have the non adjustable Lou's and it is great, with one exception...imo it is jus a little too long. With atlas plate down for towing, motor is at an angle such that the rigging hose will rub/chafe the gel coat, unless you take precaution. Not interested in the adjustable model.
    2021 BassCat Pantera Classic - Mercury
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2015 BassCat Caracal Mercury - Minn Kota - Humminbird - Powerpole
    2012 BassCat Pantera II - Mercury
    2004 BassCat Cougar - Mercury

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pewebb View Post
    If I could hijack your post, Does anyone know if BCB is good with anything not going to the trailer? Also, what is a good one for a Yamaha 250?
    Basscat "prefers" you use a transom saver, not the motor mate type. I have a 2016 PUMA/250 SHO and use the below. Start here and figure out the size you need. Lou does not make a SHO saver.
    http://www.veveinc.com/shop/Transom-...ight-Tube.html
    Don't forget you will need something to attach to the steering to keep the motor from swaying.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    Basscat "prefers" you use a transom saver, not the motor mate type. I have a 2016 PUMA/250 SHO and use the below. Start here and figure out the size you need. Lou does not make a SHO saver.
    http://www.veveinc.com/shop/Transom-...ight-Tube.html
    Don't forget you will need something to attach to the steering to keep the motor from swaying.

Thanks for the info. This looks better than the typical one I have used on my cougar. That one inevitably scratches paint off the lower unit in a short period of time.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pewebb View Post
    Thanks for the info. This looks better than the typical one I have used on my cougar. That one inevitably scratches paint off the lower unit in a short period of time.
    My traditional transom saver rubs the paint off my lower unit too. So far, except for losing the boat beauty contest, I see no ill effects on performance or durability.

14. Member
    The Lou's transom saver is awesome, however I did have one break at the weld below the motor mount end. I had it welded by a local shop only to have it break again. But, I do like it better than the original transom savers and the motormate style which is why I have had one on my Eyra since day one. I also have one of the motormates, used it for a month or so but went with what BCB recommends.

15. Member
    Thanks guys for input.
    I ordered a Largemouth Lou.
    My alum transom saver is busted.

Odie