2013 Merc 150 4 stroke issues

Considering purchase of a bass boat with this motor. Seems like the first year production of the 150 was around 2011 or 2012? Experts know which year sold in USA?
    Normally I would like to buy a newer design about 3-5 years later to allow bugs to get worked out.
    Anyone have first hand knowledge of durability and performance?
    Anything to look for in particular? Plan to have the usual compression, lower unit, etc. by a mechanic. Has less than 100 hours.
    Thanks for any advice.

Have had one since 2012 over 300 hours ultra reliable. For a completely new design at the time very,very few issues. Easy to do your own maintenance. On an 18'-19' boat wot 56-58mph. The major difference between it and a 2/stroke Optimax it doesn't have a compressor.

Tournament-Fishing \"It\'s not a question of if you will be humbled but how many times\"

One of the most reliable introductions of a NEW design in a couple decades IMO. I sure wish Mercury would introduce one in a 250. I would love to get rid of the Briggs & Stratton on the top of my ProXS!

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Member
    My 2013 only has about 70 hrs on it, but zero issues to date. As others have said, very easy to perform routine maintenance on and no valve adjustments required.
    2013 Z118 w/Merc 150 4S

5. Member
    I have 35 hrs on my 2013 nothing yet, just wish the bottom plug was easier to get too, awkward to re install without a piece of tubing on end to get it started.

Quote Originally Posted by dkibat View Post
    I have 35 hrs on my 2013 nothing yet, just wish the bottom plug was easier to get too, awkward to re install without a piece of tubing on end to get it started.
    If you use one of these it makes it a lot easier. This is a Snap-On but I'm sure you could find one priced a lot more reasonable as long as the total length is no more then 3.5"-3.75"
    https://store.snapon.com/Universal-S...t-P630698.aspx

Tournament-Fishing \"It\'s not a question of if you will be humbled but how many times\"

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The newest model was out in mid 2012- that does NOT mean much, though. Mercury does not use YEARS, they use SERIAL NUMBERS to identify engines.

Both of the latest versions have been very durable. I prefer the latest one (by a wide margin) due to it's excellent track record, AWESOME torque, and smooth operation.

If you can obtain the serial number (See Forum Announcements), more information can be offered.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor