Thread: Kamato Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Kamato Joe

Anyone have one? They look like the Egg but come with lots of accesories that are extra for the Egg

2019 721 ProXs 4S 250
    2B599739

2. Banned
    If you love it ......Buy It

3. Member
    I have the knockoff of a knock off the Char Griller AKORN. I love it and I doubt its as good as the Kamado or Egg.

4. Member
    I have an Akorn and an Akorn Jr and I use them 3-4 times a week and I love them.

KJ's are awesome when I decide to upgrade I'll probably go with a Joe, check out www.kamadoguru.com

5. Member
    I’ve been told the KJs have issues with cracking. A friend had this happen to him twice. I have 2 large BGEs. I’ve owned them for over 10 years with no issues. Good luck with your decision

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by danbass View Post
    I have an Akorn and an Akorn Jr and I use them 3-4 times a week and I love them.

KJ's are awesome when I decide to upgrade I'll probably go with a Joe, check out www.kamadoguru.com
    My AKORN was the first time I had fooled with any of these egg chaped insulated grills. Its amazing how well they work. I can fill with charcoal and probably get 3 uses before I need to add more. I would imagine the Kamado or Eggs are even better as they are a ceramic not an insulated steel shell

Thanks guys...I really like the way they look. Looks like my brother is going to take the plunge on the KJ so I think I will see how it works for him. It does seem like that style has lots of perks and work well

2019 721 ProXs 4S 250
    2B599739

8. Member
    Over at my son’s now starting the KJ up. He loves it and it works great. He has the 18-incher and wishes he had the 24-incher for extra capacity. He is cooking a pork belly and a beef brisket. It will be tomorrow when we eat. Cooks at about 210 degrees.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Morgan View Post
    Over at my son’s now starting the KJ up. He loves it and it works great. He has the 18-incher and wishes he had the 24-incher for extra capacity. He is cooking a pork belly and a beef brisket. It will be tomorrow when we eat. Cooks at about 210 degrees.
    I'd be kicking that temp up some. Waste of time that low.

Quote Originally Posted by Clif Kincaid View Post
    I'd be kicking that temp up some. Waste of time that low.
    What temp do you cook yours?

2019 721 ProXs 4S 250
    2B599739

11. Member
    Ribs & Briskets 225, Burger patties 1" thick-425 5-7 min per side then off, Pizza 375, steaks similar to burgers, less time per side depends on how much blood you like.

Throw a pecan log or chunks on with the brisket for some flavor. XL BGE around 12 years.

12. Member
    large bge..for 7 years now...awesome! Pecan is my favorite wood chunk...fresh pecan that is..not packaged and shipped dry to local stores... the difference between fresh and packaged/shipped pecan is amazingly different...you need much less to do the job. Merry Christmas everyone!

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Triton19x2 View Post
    What temp do you cook yours?
    Briskets can handle 250-275 easy...ribs 250...pork bellies 250 then crank up for crackle or from the beginning cube up and do pork belly burnt ends.

14. Member
    Put me down for one. About this time of year Costco does a Roadshow and their reps will be in the store selling them for unbelievably low prices.

As a matter of fact... We were in Costco yesterday and they have put several new upgrades in them this year.

Like changed from a felt gasket to a woven fiberglass. And totally redesigned the hinge with a pressurized hydraulic spring loaded shock.

Oh... there's a redesign for the vent on top so that even if it's monsooning... no water is getting it when you're smoking.

You can pick up the classic for something like $999 with a 30 lb bag of charcoal, and a cover thrown in.

Last year their charcoal was in 20 lb bags, and during the Roadshow you could buy two bags for $30.

I BOUGHT 20 BAGS!!!! LOL

It's VERY GOOD lump charcoal!
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

12 Nitro Z9 DC, 4 Color Flake
    250 Pro XS, SmartCraft Gauges
    Bobs 12" w/Hole shot plate
    NightFishion HD8 rubrail, W/Nav Lights
    Oznium Red/Blue 10mm/6mm LED Bolts
    4-Channel Remote Lighting Control
    HDS Gen 3's, TotalScan, 3DSS
    Red Power Pole 10' Blades
    KVD Edition Hydrowave

15. Member
    I have owned a kamado joe for 4 years. I love it. No issues of any cracking. In researching kamado grills at the time I bought mine. All kamado grills will hit the same temps. I own 7 different grills/smokers. The kamado joe is the one I’ve been using the most lately. Kamado grills are just so versatile.

16. Member
    Cooked two prime rib roasts (prime cut as well) on mine, and a couple nice thick ribeyes between Christmas and the first week of Jan that were AWESOME. Picked up a 14lb boneless prime cut at Costco, and cooked 8.5 pounds Christmas Eve, then a couple steaks the next week, and saved the 4lb roast for the 2 of us a week ago. Had that puppy coated in a mixture of pink himalayan salt, sea salt, cracked black pepper, and herbs de provence. Let it sit in the fridge downstairs for 4 days and it made an amazing crust. Also coat the exterior in butter, salt, pepper, and herb de provence when putting it on the grill @ 500°. Letting it sit and the crust form for several days made for a much more tasty eat!
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

KVD Edition Hydrowave

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DixieChicken View Post
    Put me down for one. About this time of year Costco does a Roadshow and their reps will be in the store selling them for unbelievably low prices.

As a matter of fact... We were in Costco yesterday and they have put several new upgrades in them this year.

Like changed from a felt gasket to a woven fiberglass. And totally redesigned the hinge with a pressurized hydraulic spring loaded shock.

Oh... there's a redesign for the vent on top so that even if it's monsooning... no water is getting it when you're smoking.

You can pick up the classic for something like $999 with a 30 lb bag of charcoal, and a cover thrown in.

Last year their charcoal was in 20 lb bags, and during the Roadshow you could buy two bags for $30.

I BOUGHT 20 BAGS!!!! LOL

It's VERY GOOD lump charcoal!
    I'm a BGE fan boy and I agree...I bought 10 bags of the KJ Big Block from the roadshow. Use it specifically for my long cooks and burn up royal oak for 400 and up cooks.

I have an xl BGE for 7 years its nice buy bought my son a K J and its twice as nice , BGE are going to have to upgrade their product are gonna loose the base .

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clif Kincaid View Post
    I'm a BGE fan boy and I agree...I bought 10 bags of the KJ Big Block from the roadshow. Use it specifically for my long cooks and burn up royal oak for 400 and up cooks.
    I tend to use it for everything, just add in some hickory chunk stuff. It is a totally different flavor than hickory FOR SURE. Funny thing though that you just don't see the massive chunk stuff like it in hickory. They seem to be mostly the Argentine, or some unknown hardwood.

One site that's interesting for those that cook with charcoal is: www.nakedwhiz.com
    Lots of reviews, searchable database, etc.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

KVD Edition Hydrowave

Not sure if your still in the market for this or not, but here is a good review of the Kamado Joe Classic (18") comparing it to the BGE. The one thing that has already been pointed out here is that the KJ comes with a lot more "stuff" as opposed to the BGE. Either way, you really can't go wrong with any ceramic smoker, and the Vision brand at Home Depot is also a good brand. If you get one, you'll be HOOKED...... terrible pun intended!

http://www.kamadodandy.com/2017/11/k...ct-review.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast