Thread: Duck reports

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. T Dub
    Hunted today and never fired a shot. Saw maybe 10 ducks, but did see some rare geese (for East Tennessee) - saw a group of 6 specklebellies and a snow goose flying with 5 lesser Canadas. Trying again in the morning

2. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    After alternating shooters Friday, we scratched out 8 yesterday. Couldn't finish.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

3. T Dub
    Killed some pintails today, which is a rare treat for us! Took two Drake’s to the taxidermist (not razorbass, lol)

4. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by T Dub View Post
    Killed some pintails today, which is a rare treat for us! Took two Drake’s to the taxidermist (not razorbass, lol)
    We should have shot some Sat. But got greedy as the were about 25 of them working. We should of.shot as we seldom finish pintails.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC

Bring Back Gluten!!!

5. T Dub
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddy View Post
    We should have shot some Sat. But got greedy as the were about 25 of them working. We should of.shot as we seldom finish pintails.
    That has been my experience with pintails also from hunting in West TN and down in Mississippi. This group of six was a flock from sent from heaven. Dropped out of the sky and landed right in the pocket - didn’t circle once.

Hunted today and maybe saw 10 ducks and a bunch of mergansers. Left empty handed. The few we saw ignored us completely except for one beautiful male spoonie that caught me off guard and slid through the decoys without a shot. Would have loved to have him!

6. Member
    We had a warmup last week in our area last week and whacked em good. The last 4 days we have been in a deep freeze and even though we have open water(irrigation pipe to hole in decoys) they dont fly much when its this cold. IMO they just sit on the refuge. Later in the week with warming temps, we should kill them again pretty good. Its the last week here in S.E. Mo, So. Ill. so we are about done. I will say this our propane heaters in the pit have gotten a workout this year!!

What season on the Susquehanna river. 1st its warm 50's and 60's. Then it gets cold I mean real cold and everything freezes up solid and the water drops and the river freezes over . Next it warms and rains not just a little but a couple inches. The rain causes high water and breaks up the ice . Now the ice is flowing thick and heavy and no one in there right mind should be out in it. The forecast is for more warm weather and rain for the last 3 days of the season. O did I mention there has been no ducks.
    2016 RT 188

8. T Dub
    One mallard today (lost another cripple). Had another group of pintails work 5 or 6 passes but never committed. Only saw 20 or so ducks total. Won’t make it back until Saturday, but I think our season is probably already over.

9. Member
    In my part of country a pintail is rare. We hunted yesterday and managed to kill 3 pintail drakes, but none had a long sprig but very pretty birds.
    RANGER BOATS

10. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    2 ducks a 3 geese out of a 5' wide flowing water ditch this morning.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC

Bring Back Gluten!!!

11. T Dub
    Killed one ringneck today. Saw 20 or 25 ducks and a bunch of mergansers.

12. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    6 ducks seen in my west Tn duck hole today. Going to shoot the geese out of the field by the house tomorrow. About 200 out there right now.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC

Bring Back Gluten!!!

Had a good morning at the farm by the house.
    Attached Images Attached Images

14. T Dub
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Hale View Post
    You dog! I’ve always wanted a neck band! And three of em, nice work!

Quote Originally Posted by T Dub View Post
    You dog! I’ve always wanted a neck band! And three of em, nice work!
    I’ve killed a lot of banded geese from this farm. TN Techs wildlife dept bands them. I can watch the farm from the house and see when they are using it. When they are using it, I only hunt them once a week and try to get out after shooting a few to let them have it until the next week. However, this is only the second time this year I’ve hunted it. Hunted last Saturday and killed two ducks and the geese never moved. Today was a different story.
    Last edited by Jason Hale; 01-20-2018 at 07:19 PM.

16. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Hale View Post
    Good deal!

We to hunt my spot today and the geese had spent the night. With the thaw they probably won;t come back when they fly off today.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC

Bring Back Gluten!!!

17. Member
    3 of us limited on mallards and pintails today in S. Illinois. Saw alot ducks but they were hard to get to finish in the decoys. Typical end of season wariness! Now time to pick up decoys and get ready to fish. BTW Roddy, do you know Billy Wagoner from Murray? I know him and we talk about the duck reports during the season. I believe he hunts in the Hickman, Ky. bottoms.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MoStratos View Post
    3 of us limited on mallards and pintails today in S. Illinois. Saw alot ducks but they were hard to get to finish in the decoys. Typical end of season wariness! Now time to pick up decoys and get ready to fish. BTW Roddy, do you know Billy Wagoner from Murray? I know him and we talk about the duck reports during the season. I believe he hunts in the Hickman, Ky. bottoms.
    I know Billy Wagner. He went to Canada with us once.

19. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    I hunt with a Billy Wagner from TN. He probably doesn't know.my first name is Roddy and my middle name is Scott. Most people around here call me Scott.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC

Bring Back Gluten!!!

20. Member
    I believe Billy lives in Murray, but may be wrong or he moved? He has a 270 area cose which I know is western Kentucky. I hunt in S.E. Mo. and So. Ill. and he hunts near Tenn/Kentucky state line. We share info on duck movements around those areas. We just finished yesterday and are picking up decoys the next couple days, we put out alot!(2700). Our season was good, we kept an open area from the ice with an irrigation pump run to the spread. BTW I fish Kentucky/Barkley 60-7- days a year, we need to share some info!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast