Thread: Duck reports

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. T Dub
    Finally hunted again today and saw and heard big groups leaving the refuge at daybreak, but only had 2 redbreasted mergansers 2 geese and a crow come in range. Didn’t see any ducks after shooting hours. Still hoping to catch some cold weather soon. Merry Christmas all!

2. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddy View Post
    The duck numbers and water levels are low in west TN.
    15 last sunday, none yesterday or today.
    Too much water now. 10' of water in our swamp hole.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

3. Member
    Still not enough water for what we need , but since the rain we have killed 124 in four days

4. T Dub
    Hunted today and only killed a bluebill (greater) and a bufflehead. Didn’t see any big ducks after shooting hours and the few groups of divers acted like they’d been shot at all week. Hoping this weekends big freeze will help

5. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Covered up in woodies. They should be gone already.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC

Bring Back Gluten!!!

Hunted last three days as bottoms started to freeze. Killed good numbers of big ducks first day, little ice second day and gadwalls and shovelers, lots of ice day three and teal go figure.

7. T Dub
    Didn’t kill a duck today and maybe saw 20. Trying again tomorrow and Monday with fingers crossed.

8. Member
    Just got back from my annual trip to md. Killed a limit of geese first day (field pit hunt), second day sat on some big water tidal river, scratched out 4 man limit of mallards and a few canadas, last day was a little worse only shot 10 ducks and 4 geese. They are pretty much froze out at this point, small impoundments and farm ponds for sure. Did see a good many migrators working down my last day though. Hopefully they make it far enough down.
    Skeeter Sx186 w/ yamaha 150

9. T Dub
    Hunted yesterday and today. Yesterday killed 11 ducks (2ringnecks, 8redheads, and a mallard) and 2 specklebelly geese (very rare for East Tennessee!)

Today killed 5 mallards. Not a bad 2 days for us. Probably won’t make it back again til this Saturday.

10. Member
    Drove the 5 hours from Paducah to northern Ky on Wednesday. Three of us killed 12 green heads 5 black ducks, a drake pintail and 7 Canada geese dry feeding in a cornfield. Hunted the Ohio River this morning and killed a drake redhead, a drake goldeneye, and a drake buff this morning. Hunted the same field we hunted yesterday during the afternoon with 3 other guys and killed 4 blacks, 5 mallards and 4 geese. Heading to a different spot on the river in the morning.

A lot of small water around here is locked up, but should thaw out this weekend. Looked for birds on Monday afternoon and saw a total of 2. Went out yesterday during lunch and found about 500 gadwalls and teal. Looked today in a different area during lunch and found a couple thousand pintail and mallards. Wish I could hunt tomorrow, but looks like Saturday will be the morning to get on some greenheads

12. T Dub
    Almost entire lake was frozen today. Busted ice for a mile or so. Killed 2 bluebills, 2 gadwalls, and a goldeneye from my blind today, but partner had to leave early. Dropped him off at the ramp and jumped in another friend’s blind. They had killed 2 teal and a canvasback and we killed 1 more black before leaving. Great mixed bag. Wish I could go back tomorrow!

13. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Just started the pump and ice eaters to try our luck in the morning.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC

Bring Back Gluten!!!

14. Member
    Killed 5 bluebills on the Ohio River on Friday before it froze up. One of them was banded in Havana, Illinois in 2013. Hunted a field later and killed 9 mallards, a drake pintail and 3 geese.

15. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    The ducks just started back into the swamps of west TN. My son and I killed limits Sunday and Monday, out of very few birds seen. He went alone this morning and killed a mixed limit in the first 30 min. Not sure what a canvas back was doing in the swamp? He said there were 50x the ducks today
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC

Bring Back Gluten!!!

Just checked the area I had seen all the birds last Thursday. There are still about 500 mallards in this spot. Glad they all didn’t leave since the thaw. Went to hunt them on Saturday, but hit a horse on the way to the duck hole and totaled the truck. A horse is the last animal I thought I’d see in the middle of a road in the dark.

17. T Dub
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeSouza View Post
    Just checked the area I had seen all the birds last Thursday. There are still about 500 mallards in this spot. Glad they all didn’t leave since the thaw. Went to hunt them on Saturday, but hit a horse on the way to the duck hole and totaled the truck. A horse is the last animal I thought I’d see in the middle of a road in the dark.
    Dang! That sucks

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by T Dub View Post
    Dang! That sucks
    Glad you weren't injured. I know of a situation where a guy died as a result of hitting a horse with a truck.

19. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Killed a limit early and enough ducks we could have killed a hundred. Looking fwd to tomorrow.493.jpg
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC

Bring Back Gluten!!!

With the ice we have from this afternoon storm I’m not heading west this weekend. However, I’ve been watching the farm I hunt here and the geese are going in there. I watched them again this morning before going to work. I’ll be waiting on them in the morning.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast