'87 Starfire 150

I started looking into fixing up a classic bass boat a few years ago. I spent a lot of time browsing through others builds on here, and really liked some of the old Skeeters, but due to a couple house moves and other commitments, I never ended up picking one up.
    So last weekend I was cruising the Facebook classifieds and stumbled across this '87 Starfire 150 for $1500. On a wild whim I messaged the guy and shot him a $500 offer which he immediately countered at $1000. He then asks me, "anything to trade?" I just so happened to have this parts car I needed to get rid of, an '89 Formula 350 Firebird roller. Believe it or not the guy says, "I've always wanted one of those!" This car was doing nothing but taking up a garage spot and I had been meaning to get rid of it for months, Perfect!

That next Monday I make the hour drive up, pick up the boat, and he follows me back with a car trailer. Swap completed. I'm now the owner of a Skeeter. Sans titles... You see, he bought it from a gentleman whos brother owned the boat since new, and had recently passed on. So, first issue at hand...getting IL titles for both the boat and trailer. After some digging, I now have a copy of the death certificate, bill of sale, and POA paperwork. We'll see how cooperative the DMV and IDNR are going to be. This should be interesting.

Here's the pics from the add, Sideways just like they were in the add.:)

2. Member
    Looks like you got a good project good luck and keep us updated.

3. Member
    Good project boat! How is the gelcoat, does look like it will wet sand out?

4. Moderator
    That boat brings back a lot of memories. Brother had one same color as yours. Good project boat.

5. Member
    I worked on it a lot this weekend. The cap is going to come out great! The red flake is a little faded out, but the shine comes back great. I went 1000, 1500, 2500, then used Mguires rubbing compound, then polishing compound, followed by two coats of Zymol wax.

I don't know why these images keep rotating when I upload them. I've edited them right side up and they appear correctly on the computer. Sorry for them being sideways.
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Member

I would say the first weekend of working on it (By myself) was a success. Most of the rotten and very smelly carpet removed, and some polishing done. I tried to jumper a car battery to it and all I could get was the warning buzzer for a second. I couldn't get anything to work. Looks like I'm going to need some fuel lines also. There's a couple that are broken off of the carbs.

7. Member
    Wow that does look good a little elbow grease goes a long way.

8. Member
    I had the same problem with my pics on a different forum.

Using a Mac, I opened each pic in preview, then saved it. Solved the rotation frustration. Might also work if you have a PC.

9. Member
    Looks good. As far as the title, you should be fine with the Bill of Sale, Power of Attorney, and a Death Certificate. I'm in Illinois too and bought a boat in Indiana about 6 years ago, similar situation, same documentation. Took a little longer than usual but had no issues.

10. Member
    It's alive!

Probably hasn't run in over 10 years. The last registration sticker was 2003! Initial compression was low, but with a little PB Blaster, Premixed oil, and a little run time, the subsequent compression check showed the rings reseated and the motor is healthy.

I fully expected to have to clean out the carbs given the rank fuel in the tank, but she started right up, idles good, and revs clean.

Discovered that the trim works, from everywhere but from the drivers controls. So I have a switch or wiring issue there. Steering cables are also froze up solid, and none of the live well or bilge pumps run.
    Last edited by Formula89; 02-19-2018 at 12:07 PM.

11. Member
    Man you got a find there! Love these projects Good Luck!

12. Member
    Great rig. Love those old Skeeters. Your wet sand came out great. Suggest a water pump job soon.

Diggin this thread !!
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

14. Member
    Alright guys, I need some help/advise.

I was able to obtain an IL title for the trailer. Turns out TN doesn't require trailer titles, and I happened to work with a guy from TN.

The boat title however has become difficult. When I purchased the boat, I new it was a gamble. I bought the boat from a guy that obtained it from an estate garage sale. The original owner had passed on. The power of attorney had been granted to the owner's 75 year old sister. However, the guy I bought it from had dealt with the other brother. Keeping up? He told me at the time of sale that if I needed anything to contact him and he could contact the brother. Well, I was provided a copy of the death certificate, a copy of the estate POA form, the boats last IL registration card, and the original bill of sale from the dealership in 1988!

The issue is, I still require a bill of sale signed to me, an IDNR power of attorney form signed to me, and an IL small estate affidavit signed to me.

I contacted the guy back that I obtained the boat from, and he's now no longer able to contact the brother. Imagine that. I have her address which is an hour and a half away, but no valid phone number to contact her. So it would be a three hour round trip roll of the dice to drive up there and knock on the door, hope she's home, and even willing to talk to a stranger, let alone sign forms or still be of sound mind enough to do so.

Is there any other way to maybe title this boat? If not, this might turn into a part out.

15. Member
    There are companies that specialize in times when hard to get titles. Not sure of their fees. There was one here in Virginia. Seem to know exactly what they require.