2001 225EFI Problems!

I have an ongoing problem that I have posted before. (Merc 225EFI, Serial number OT364183) Sorry if this gets long, but I want to give an accurate account. This motor is on a 2001 TR20 Triton. It ran great, then one day, lost a piston. Low compression and had a piston slap noise. I had some prior experience, so I honed the cylinder and installed a new piston. It ran fine for about a year, and I had another failure, put a rod through the block. I honestly cannot remember if it was the cylinder that I fixed or not. I was not totally confident in the available rebuilt blocks, so I looked for another solution. I found a running complete motor that SEEMED like a good deal. It was a 98 225EFI, but was told an identical motor to my 2001. I did the install myself, swapping the powerhead onto my engine. It fired right up and seemed fine. NOW the problem. It does not like to idle, and if doing so for very long, the boat really struggles to get out of the hole. I had numerous times where trying to get on plane, it would take a minute or more. Sometimes more like 5 minutes. It also had a lean sneeze. I took it to the local bass boat shop, who many local bass guys swear by. They put in new plugs, (thanks, I did that several times myself) and also adjusted the TPS for the lean sneeze. Also at that time the fuel intake was taken apart, to inspect the reeds and intake gaskets. Those were good. Compression check also was taken with good results. So the sneeze is better, but did nothing for getting out of the hole. (I should also include, since I had parts from two complete motors, I had swapped out every combination of intakes, reeds, and ECMs with no change. I have also checked each plug wire several times for spark, which also was good). I had talked a second time with the mechanic, and also with the experts on this Board, and received very similar input. This has been awhile, so I might not remember everything %100. But as I recall, could be injectors, could be exhaust baffle plugged, it could be the height of the motor on the transom. One by one, those were all checked off the list. A second trip for the boat to the mechanic and he suggested remove the injectors and send them out for testing. The results came back, we need new injectors. So over $2000 later, (they also resealed the lower unit), I thought we finally found the problem! NOPE. It did nothing for the hole shot.

So fast forward to the present. A sort of solution to the hole shot- I discovered that if I raise the motor very high with the hydraulic jack plate, it will almost always come out of the hole. But at this position in relation to the transom, it is way higher than when a manual/fixed position jack plate was in use. So the motor does not like to idle, runs rough at low rpms, dies multiple times before I can get it in gear, but as soon as it does get up on plane, it runs smooth and will push the boat to 70 mph with ease. Once in a while, it seems to run much better at idle and is easier to deal with, but its rare. I am thinking since its running rough, but with new injectors and reeds ok, is it going to be a firing/electrical issue? HELP PLEASE and many thanks in advance.

2. Member
    check your oil bleeding lines and your tps volt...i have the same problem before

3. Member
    well did you use the complete 98 powerhead or just block assembly and have you checked the bleed system throughly ,what prop,
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    Yeah I used the complete powerhead, and then mounted all the original components to that block (ecm's, fuel components, etc.) Then started swapping out different components to isolate the problem. I did have a bleed line come off before, and that was a whole different deal. My motor runs out great once it gets out of the hole. When my bleed line came off, it shut it down when going 50plus mph. Thanks for commenting.

5. Banned
    I belive what Joe is asking is if you serviced the idle bleed recirculation system? On the reed plate you have check valves and bleed hoses atached to them. All need to be cleaned out of fluid and ensure the check valves are not clogged up. They are one directional. Also, clean the little screen filter under the fuel pressure regulator.

6. Kllr bee
    Check fuel pressure in system at valve . Also make sure all check valves are flowing in the right direction.I would also try another stator.
    Richard

7. Member
    ^^^^^^ , ohm test on that one [stator] there will be some check valves for bleed syst on block hoses also they must work,check for spark at plugs with timming light,WAS 2 or 4 butterfly body used on front with matching ecus ??? QL77CC PLUGS ?????
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Member
    Thanks for the reply, it currently has the 4 butterfly body, and I have used every combination of ECU,s. Currently does have the matching ECU,s with the 4 butterfly body, which is the one with the new injectors. How do you ohm check the stator. I am not gifted when electronics come into play, I do understand ohms is resistance. Am I testing from the body of the stator to different legs of the wiring harness? Thanks again for help.

9. Member
    I will check the flow direction of the check valves and also make sure all bleed tubes are clear. Thanks

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    ^^^^^^ , ohm test on that one [stator] there will be some check valves for bleed syst on block hoses also they must work,check for spark at plugs with timming light,WAS 2 or 4 butterfly body used on front with matching ecus ??? QL77CC PLUGS ?????
    Please confirm what plugs you are running (VERY critical).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    Yes I am running the Merc specified plug, QL77CC. Do you also concur testing the stator and bleed valves, as suggested by JOE54?

12. Member
    I would trust what JOE54 states.........

13. Member
    Had a very similar problem, 2001 Merc 225 EFI on Tr20, turned out to be the stator. Wish I knew more on how to help ya but i’m Sure their suggestions are good!

14. Member
    Update to my issue, and wanted to say thanks to all who posted with good ideas to try. It has been awhile, I was out of town, trip south to get warm for a month, and very cold weather here was not conducive to getting after the boat issue. Several posts said to check the stator voltage, and after thinking it through, I thought that must be the issue, just made sense that it would struggle at low rpms, then run good at high rpms. Nope, stator checked out fine. Next, several stated check bleed lines, the routing, making sure they were clear, and that the check valves in line were in the right orientation, are six of them, and the last one I checked, arrow pointed in the wrong direction. Pulled the line off and BINGO gas immediately came running out. I cleared several lines in close to the valve, and reinstalled. Hit the key and the boat ran pretty good on the hose. I took it to the river and ran it about an hour. The longer I ran it, the better it ran. I think just getting the rest of the motor "cleared out" contributed to this. At the end, she was idling very smooth, running as it should, good hole shot and all. Just wanted to post an update, say a BIG Thank You to all that posted. BBC Community is awesome!

15. Member
    I just wanted to say thanks for posting, and you can read my resolution and update.

16. Member

17. Member

18. Member
    Is't if crazy that something so simple that seems insignificant can make such a difference. I had a broken check valve so decided to change all the bleed lines while I was at it. Don STRESSED to make sure the valves faced the right direction. Who knew it would have caused that much of a problem.

19. Banned