Solix HumminbirdPC Alternative

Since HumminbirdPC does not work with the Solix unit's NavData output information, other than allowing you to see only core waypoint info, Is there an alternative to HumminbirdPC for Solix users for "Offline" processing of NavData?

2. Member
    Is there anything in particular you are trying to do? I have been trying to come up with an alternative. I have analyzed Helix files and Solix files using XML editing software and have discovered the reason some Helix symbols are not directly converting to the Solix unit. It has to do with the naming schemes of the symbols which was fairly easy to fix with the software. Also, there are some symbols the Solix units have and the Helix units don't and vice versa. That is also a fairly easy fix. The biggest issue I'm having pertains to the color of the Solix icons. The Helix symbols are a fixed color but the Solix symbols can be changed to whatever color you like. I have figured out how to change the colors using the XML editing software but have not figured an easy way yet to change several at a time. If I can get this figured out, then transferring Helix files to Solix files should be fairly easy. HumminbirdPC "will work" but the file has to be edited before transferring it to the Solix units. For gps data editing, I like using Expert GPS the best. It allows you to add or edit waypoints, tracks and routes very easily. It will read and write Google Earth files and will perform batch editing. It will perform many other functions too. Its also very easy to use but does cost about $70 if I remember correctly. I think you can download a trial and use it for 10 or 14 days. Once I completed everything using Expert GPS, I only had to edit some of the symbol names to get it ready for my Helix units. It takes some extra time and steps which is a hassle but it's not horrible for most of the lakes I fish. However, it is a "PITA" for Sam Rayburn and Toledo Bend because I have hundreds of waypoints and many trails for each of those lakes. It's not bad when everything is "fixed" and loaded to the Solix unit. Once that is done, you can export the file back to a memory card which shouldn't require any editing at that point. It's a little more complicated for me, because I have separate files for each lake I fish. It's too bad the units will only hold 50 tracks, I have that many just on Rayburn. I sure wish Humminbird would hurry and get their software released but I will probably have all my stuff done by that time. Good Luck
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike2718 View Post
    It's too bad the units will only hold 50 tracks, I have that many just on Rayburn.
    I had about 45 tracks on one lake, then merged them into about 3-4 tracks. I merged related tracks together, boat run track, creek track, roadbed track, etc.

Reefmaster does a great job, but RideLeader or maybe ExpertGPS might.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleGazoo View Post
    I had about 45 tracks on one lake, then merged them into about 3-4 tracks. I merged related tracks together, boat run track, creek track, roadbed track, etc.

Reefmaster does a great job, but RideLeader or maybe ExpertGPS might.
    Some of my tracks I was able to merge but wasn't able to with other tracks. Some of the tracks kept connecting the starting point with the end point with a straight line. If I deleted the line, it would split the track into 2 separate tracks again. I just gave up & said to heck with it. I actually used Ride Leader and ExpertGPS to merge some of the tracks. However, I have so many tracks that I wouldn't be able to reduce my number of tracks to 50 anyway. I have about 12 or so waypoint management software programs but have never tried Reefmaster. I may try the trial version and see how it works with Solix files. I don't mind spending the money if it actually works. I tend to use ExpertGPS for most of my editing but it even requires some editing with the Solix files.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

5. Member
    You have to find what works for you. First you have to know Lowrance and Humminbird units support track-segmentation. Garmin units to not.
    I'll guess the HB Solix units support this as I have not tested a Solix for track-segmentation.

I was creating track-segmented tracks for Lowrance units and Humminbird Helix & legacy units. I used Google Earth to create and maintain these tracks. I used Reefmaster to create the Lowance GPX files and Humminbird .HT files.

HumminbirdPC supported track-segments when I downloaded from the .HT files creating the HBPC's GPX file, but not when I would open a GPX file with track-segmented tracks. Go figure.

6. Member
    The main reason I asked the initial question is because HumminbirdPC does not support Groups created by the Solix, and the Solix does not recognize groups created on HumminbirdPC. It is very time consuming to sit in your boat, in your garage, at night, and go one-by-one to each waypoint and put it in it's correct group. Will ExpertGPS maintain group integrity to-and-from the Solix?

7. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeQ View Post
    It is very time consuming to sit in your boat, in your garage, at night, and go one-by-one to each waypoint and put it in it's correct group.
    It might be easier to set the default group to the group that you want your new waypoints to be in.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeQ View Post
    Will ExpertGPS maintain group integrity to-and-from the Solix?
    I doubt it. Best to ask ExpertGPS folks.
    If I PM you my email address, can you send me a Solix GPX file with Groups?

This is truly HB’s weak point

This software was outdated a decade ago and needs to be dumped

More than 10 years ago Garmin already had a “GUI” (Graphical user interface) software system that allowed people to not only download waypoints, routs, tracks but also the maps they have on their unit and allowed them to view their data right on the same maps they see on their graph at home on their PC

This makes managing data 100 times better and faster than HB’s 1990’s DOS system

Not to mention planning trips or just a day on your favorite lake is amazing with the “WYSIWG” (What you see is what you get) system allowing you to create waypoints or routes with a simple click of the mouse as well as the ability to see chart data like marina info and notes like you see on Navionics Hotspots

I understand that Garmin is a navigation company that offers sonar and just the opposite HB is a sonar company that offers navigation but these days you need to offer the best of both including software

I really hope HB has read all the comments on the HBPC software and is in the process of coming out with something worthy of their systems.
    "The handicapped angler"

10. Member
    LittleGazoo, shoot me a PM and I'll get something to you this week.

What blows my mind is that the software that had to be created to make the Solix MEGA imaging work is so much more complicated and expensive to produce than what is needed to replace HBPC. What good is the machine if you can't manage what you find with it?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichAngler View Post
    This is truly HB’s weak point.
    This software was outdated a decade ago and needs to be dumped.
    Weak point, yes. Dumped, no. Add some features & fix, then yes.

Fix the "waypoint icon hell" depending on HB unit type.
    Fix Google Earth interface displaying track-segmentation.
    Fix all track-segmentation handling.
    Fix HB Grouping issues.
    Better USRv4 conversion & USRv5-6 support.