Deciding between 12" Helix Mega or 2 10" Helix

I"m exploring two options for console, one 12" Helix Mega or two 10" Helix units, one being mega. Do people prefer one 12" at console vs. 2@10"? I think it would be nice to run maps/2D on one unit and Mega Side imaging on the other. For the older 10" Gen1 unit, is one version prefered? For example if I went the 2@ 10" route, should I get a gps/sonar, DI/sonar, or si/sonar unit Gen1 unit to go along with the Mega unit?
    Last edited by smallykiller; 12-15-2017 at 09:35 AM.

2. Member
    More screen with 2 10’s than 1 12.

If you mix CHIRP with non-CHIRP units you cannot share sonar with CHIRP turned on and you cannot share MEGA with a first generation unit.

The best choice for dual units is a MEGA SI unit paired with a G2N CHIRP Sonar unit, then you can share all sonar and just have one transducer on the transom. Use the sonar unit's transducer in the bilge for shoot-thru and connect the transom and shoot thru to the MEGA SI unit via Y cable, then share sonar data via Ethernet. No cross-talk that way.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

4. Member
    If I share the transducers, can I have side image on the Mega unit and 2D running on the G2N CHIRP unit at the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by smallykiller View Post
    If I share the transducers, can I have side image on the Mega unit and 2D running on the G2N CHIRP unit at the same time?
    Yes, all the sonar data will be coming from the MEGA SI unit.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    If you mix CHIRP with non-CHIRP units you cannot share sonar with CHIRP turned on and you cannot share MEGA with a first generation unit.

The best choice for dual units is a MEGA SI unit paired with a G2N CHIRP Sonar unit, then you can share all sonar and just have one transducer on the transom. Use the sonar unit's transducer in the bilge for shoot-thru and connect the transom and shoot thru to the MEGA SI unit via Y cable, then share sonar data via Ethernet. No cross-talk that way.
    I Had this exact set up before starting my Solix install. It worked great. No cross talk at all, and I could view any of the info on either screen. Had a 10 Mega G2N and a 10 chirp/sonar G2N at the console and a 10 Chirp/DI G2N at the bow.
    N
    '17 Nitro Z21, 250ProXS serial # 2B399616, 24p Fury4, 12" Atlas, Apex 16 @ console, Apex 16 & Apex 13 @ bow, Mega 360, Ultrex, 8ft blades

7. Member
    2 10s is what I would do