Cordell Hull and others...

Hey there-
    My mom and her husband retired down to Carthage TN from Central NY a couple years ago. They have a little horse farm there. I visited once. Nice country and people.
    Anyway- she is a few minutes from Cordell Hull Lake. I have read there are some big stripers in there, but I'm wondering hows the bass fishing? Also, if I were to drag the boat down there what other lakes might be worth a day trip from there?
    I know Dale isnt too far, but I'm wore out by big smallmouth. I'd be looking to tangle with some nice bigmouths.
    Lastly, there likely will be ice on the lakes here when I go. I don't need 70-80 degree weather, but do you have an idea when on the calendar I might luck into some decent 50-60 degree weather when the fish are biting?
    Thanks a lot!

Don't overlook dale for lm's. Just aways north Would be Cumberland if you want to try for some big stripers.
    Jason
    2015 Phoenix 919 225 ProXs

3. Member
    You have Dale Hollow, Center hill, and Cordell hull right there. If you went in the next few weeks you will find the temps your looking for, or you can wait til late Feb/March. No ice here, we fish all winter.

Right now is the time to be on any of those lakes. best time of the year for all game fish. Dale Hollow has a great population of greenfish now. don't take your boat down there and not spend a few days on it. best lake in the region in my opinion.
    Last edited by JC25; 12-15-2017 at 11:26 AM.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JC25 View Post
    Right now is the time to be on any of those lakes. best time of the year for all game fish.
    Why don't you drive over and meet me at DH tomorrow, Jeff.

6. Member
    Thanks for the responses. "we fish all year" is a great start for what I'm looking to know. Yes, late february or March would be the time frame I had in mind.
    By the sounds of it, I should drag the boat when I visit mom.
    I appreciate the reassurance that the water will be soft and the options plentiful!

Quote Originally Posted by Bassakwards View Post
    Why don't you drive over and meet me at DH tomorrow, Jeff.

Boy I wish I could, I'm only 6 hrs away now. I have to fish Lake James now for my winter smallmouth fix. or head up to Watagua or South Holston which are about the same drive as dale for me.

8. Member
    An hour or less from Old Hickory, good place for LM. Only 2 hours from Chickamauga as well.
    Go Big Blue!

That's a great time. Give me a shout when you head this way.

10. Member
    Sounds great.
    Looking forward to it.

I grew up just a few miles from Carthage and spent many years on Center Hill. Like others stated I'd go to Dale Hollow and Center Hill for sure. I've just never been a fan of Old Hickory with so many other much nicer lakes around. My son and I fished Center Hill back in June for a week. I'd like to get up there in December or early January but haven't confirmed we are going quite yet.

Quite a few people form New York retiring in that area. My parents live in Alexandria and the couple across from them are from New York and bought a beautiful farm there and built a new house. I sure miss the area, I lived in Franklin before moving to Texas.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by C130 View Post
    I grew up just a few miles from Carthage and spent many years on Center Hill. Like others stated I'd go to Dale Hollow and Center Hill for sure. I've just never been a fan of Old Hickory with so many other much nicer lakes around. My son and I fished Center Hill back in June for a week. I'd like to get up there in December or early January but haven't confirmed we are going quite yet.

Quite a few people form New York retiring in that area. My parents live in Alexandria and the couple across from them are from New York and bought a beautiful farm there and built a new house. I sure miss the area, I lived in Franklin before moving to Texas.
    Cannot blame norfefs for retiring there. It is a really beautiful place, and great lakes are all over the place. And no state income tax. You also have Music City 50 minutes away.

But don't believe it when they say previous Vice President and internet founder, Al Gore, was from Carthage. He really grew up in Washington, DC.

13. Member
    Percy Priest isn't all that far from Carthage