Fine tuning in simulator mode?

Is a person able to fine tune screen clarity, etc in simulator mode or is on the water live needed? Would like to be able to fine two my Gen 1 and Gen 2 helix this winter so it's ready to go in spring.
    1995 Ranger 487VS / 1998 Mercury 200 EFI

2. Banned
    it would help if you had a recording from a previous outing on your water

I asked Wayne thus question last night. You can make changes in Sim mode that will save to your live mode. I recently updated my G2 helix and apparently there's a glitch and it won't save my settings, it just reverts back to the factory settings. Hopefully they fix that soon

As Shins stated, you will have better results using your own Recordings.

Static settings will not give you the best images or sonar. You should adjust the units for the conditions as they are on the water at a particular location.

The Default settings are the start and you adjust from there as needed.

You can use the Simulator to practice how the settings affect the images, but colors, readouts, alarms and which views to have active are mostly the only ones that can be static.

Post #21 here will give you some idea:

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=172968&page=2
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Banned
    Ya I almost didnt buy a Helix 5 because i thought the imaging looked terrible in the simulator. But, happily, the actual on-water images looked good.

I would suggest if you cant get your own recording before spring, one of us here could send you a saved recording that could work better for you.

I had the same question regarding simulator mode. Kinda off topic but I fish mostly shallower water most of the time. I noticed that when I was in Tennessee fishing deep, clear water back earlier in the summer I was really impressed with my Helix 12 units. They are non mega units and came on a new boat order that was purchased last December. Images were great in the deep water but I don't see near the clarity on side imaging and down imaging fishing the shallow lakes nearby. Is this typical or most likely just incorrect settings for the shallower water? I've played around with the settings but still not completely happy with the results. The lake in Tennessee had lots of rocks and big boulders so maybe that was part of the clarity difference, they really stood out and were very clear.

Quote Originally Posted by C130 View Post
    I had the same question regarding simulator mode. Kinda off topic but I fish mostly shallower water most of the time. I noticed that when I was in Tennessee fishing deep, clear water back earlier in the summer I was really impressed with my Helix 12 units. They are non mega units and came on a new boat order that was purchased last December. Images were great in the deep water but I don't see near the clarity on side imaging and down imaging fishing the shallow lakes nearby. Is this typical or most likely just incorrect settings for the shallower water? I've played around with the settings but still not completely happy with the results. The lake in Tennessee had lots of rocks and big boulders so maybe that was part of the clarity difference, they really stood out and were very clear.
    Hard surfaces will return strong echoes and be displayed brighter than soft surfaces. That is why you have to adjust your unit for where you are, and adjust as much and as often as conditions change.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL