Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Registering out of state boat

I just moved into Tennessee from Virginia. I stopped at the county clerks office today to see about registering my boat that is currently registered in Virginia. I was told I’d need a bill of sale, receipt from sales tax paid to Virginia and breakdown of boat/motor/trailer costs. It’s absurd to me that I’m going to have to pay sales tax on something I’ve already paid it on. Is this correct? She said it would be somewhere around $3500 due.
    Jason Ferrell
    Virginia
    2015 Skeeter ZX250
    2015 Yamaha VMAX SHO 250

2. Member
    When I moved from Oregon a few years ago I had to pay that also. I know I waited about three months to do it as it would save me a couple hundred. Good luck.

3. Member
    Yea TN will get you from 15 different angles. I had to pay tax on my trailer twice when I bought my boat out of state. The dealer collected taxes then when I registered they said I owed $200 more because they didn't collect the tax on the trailer. I argued that since it was included in the price of the boat I had indeed paid taxes on it but of course I had to pay it.
    I think they"ll just get you for the difference between VA and TN sales tax but I'm not sure on that.

4. Member
    I moved to Tennesee from Illinois in 2014. I also had to pay the difference in the sale tax rate between the states.

It it wasn't much on mine but I had a Basstracker aluminum rig at the time.

5. Member

Angry

Same thing happened to me when I moved here from Florida in 14. I had bought the boat in 13 so the paperwork hadn't got misplaced yet. It's irritating but I think TN is trying to collect any difference in the 2 tax rates. What if you have had the boat fo 20 years ? Will you pay sales tax on the 20 year old rate or the current rate ? Pretty sure there are some problems with TN's process but don't know how to identify them .

What if you bought the boat in state 1 , paid sales tax, registered it in state 2, then moved to state 3 (TN) ? Would you pay the difference in sales tax from state 2 &3, the difference in tax between states 1 & 3 , or WTH ?

What if you had the boat registered in state 1 which has a higher tax rate than TN ? Would TN refund the entire difference , pro rate and refund the difference, or just say "sorry" no refunds on taxes paid to another state ?

Pretty sure the system here has problems but until someone comes along to shine the light on it , it will probably continue exploit the taxpayer. My .02 Just saying

BTW, my "tax difference" amounted to $1800.
    GETFISHED !!!

6. Member
    Really? I moved here from Indiana and had a 2 year old Boat. I definitely do not recall paying anything other than reg fees and title transfer in Robertson County.
    Basscat!

7. Member
    Moved here from Florida in 1998. Registered two boats, produced titles and paid registration fees. No punitive sales tax and I was quite pleased I didn’t have to pay for tags on the trailers.

8. Member
    I would call the TWRA and just ask. Tell them you have a current registration in another state. See what they say.

9. Member
    In Henry county the tax payment is handled through the county clerks office. I would think its the same in the other counties.

10. Member
    I recommended calling the TWRA to see if they will process the registration without the additional tax payment. Kinda like a renewal of sorts. If you do have to pay sales/use tax that is done at the county clerk before you send it to the TWRA. What it says on the TWRA website is that you have to pay sales tax if it has never been registered before - but this boat was registered before - just not in TN. The TWRA handles the boat registration and they are the ones who will return it back to you if you were suppose to pay sales tax and didn't.

I am pretty sure that you are going to have to pay the sales tax difference. I know TN is militant about collecting sales/use tax but I don't know how they can really expect you to pay the sales tax difference based on the value of a sale that happened in another state 3 years ago. The boat is not work that amount now. I can understand them wanting a "use" tax based on the current value but the "sales tax' difference on a sale 3 years ago is a reach.

The don't make you pay the sales tax difference on cars...
    Last edited by huntertn; 12-17-2017 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Last sentence

^^^^ Agree. I register my boat with TWRA not the county clerk. If you have a title already for your boat do you need another one?
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

12. Member
    All you should need is your registration from previous state,,to get plate for trailer if you don't have registration or title you will need certificate of origin,,that was all I needed in Tennessee
    Outlaw Bass

13. Not Banned
    You don't get a boat title in TN. You have a trailer title and a motor title. You're also not required to have a tag on the trailer... at least not in the county I'm in. Something doesn't sound right to me. When I moved here I sold my boat first... but I did bring a 4wheeler and a couple vehicles and I didn't pay anything on either of those.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sdbrison View Post
    ^^^^ Agree. I register my boat with TWRA not the county clerk. If you have a title already for your boat do you need another one?
    Boats are registered and renewed through twra but the registration application that you send to twra to register initially comes from the clerks office.

15. Member
    Because there is no State Income tax in Tennessee, they do get you on luxury items when you move from another state.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IlBassAddict View Post
    Because there is no State Income tax in Tennessee, they do get you on luxury items when you move from another state.
    I paid nothing when I moved here in 2016.
    Basscat!

17. Member
    I had to pay the sales tax on my used boat when I moved from Illinois to Knoxville in 2013.
    Quote Originally Posted by GRR884 View Post
    I paid nothing when I moved here in 2016.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IlBassAddict View Post
    I had to pay the sales tax on my used boat when I moved from Illinois to Knoxville in 2013.
    I didn't pay other than the reg fee and title transfer when I went to Robertson County Clerk office when I moved here in 2015. I sold the boat last year to a person in AR. After that I was able to deduct that sale price off my new boat and only paid sales tax on that difference.
    Last edited by GRR884; 12-19-2017 at 02:43 PM.
    Basscat!

19. Member
    I paid the difference between IN and TN on my Sabre and KY and TN on my Cougar. I was glad to do so (it's maybe one percent) knowing TN doesn't charge personal property taxes once you get past the sales taxes. The sales taxes are normally deductible on your federal return for the TN luxury items. I normally paid about 500.00 a year on top of the 6% sales tax for both the truck and the boat while living in KY. It doesn't take long to make up the 1% difference at a grand a year pop. Thus all the folks on our lines wanting to register here and our county clerks being careful.

In order for you to owe 3500 you must have paid virtually nothing in initial sales tax. Find that bill of sale showing what you paid the state of VA. I know when I lived in VA they LOVED TAXES! Seems like TN look up current NADA? If so, you may not owe anything?

20. Member
    I found my paperwork and I paid a little over $900 in tax to Virginia when I purchased the boat almost 2 years ago. I’m going back to the clerks office and see if they can give me a firm amount I’d have to pay. I want to get it out of Virginia so I don’t have to pay property taxes anymore

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast