Question Jerry T ... transmission guru question ...

What's your real world thoughts on "lifetime" transmission fluid and no dipsticks on many of today's cars & trucks ? ... based on the transmission failures you've seen, what percentage of them do you think may have been avoided had the fluid been changed in spite of what the factory recommended ?
    Ranting incoherently

2. Member
    Id like to see this discussion as well.
    Skeeter Sx186 w/ yamaha 150

3. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Step son has 2 vehicles with sealed trannies. I have changed em both at around 100,000 and 120,000 miles. No issues but just brown and burnt. Bought em at a police auction. Still going strong. I have seen some going on 150,000 miles plus. Not me. I change em(filters and gasket and fluid). Cant hurt I guess. I know that years ago when I was turning wrenches, we did trans services and flushes and saw a few with high mileage done(servicing) and nothing but problems afterwards.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

Quote Originally Posted by omcforever View Post
    Step son has 2 vehicles with sealed trannies. I have changed em both at around 100,000 and 120,000 miles. No issues but just brown and burnt. Bought em at a police auction. Still going strong. I have seen some going on 150,000 miles plus. Not me. I change em(filters and gasket and fluid). Cant hurt I guess. I know that years ago when I was turning wrenches, we did trans services and flushes and saw a few with high mileage done(servicing) and nothing but problems afterwards.
    Yeah, that was due to fresh fluid with strong solvents & detergents loosening up old varnish deposits ... they were harmless left stuck to surfaces but caused problems when they were loosened and got circulated throughout the trans.
    Ranting incoherently

5. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bilgerat View Post
    Yeah, that was due to fresh fluid with strong solvents & detergents loosening up old varnish deposits ... they were harmless left stuck to surfaces but caused problems when they were loosened and got circulated throughout the trans.
    Last trans shop I went to,(2007) said they have guests sign waivers on very high mileage services,,,,,

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

6. Member

I had a 1994 Mazda Protege with a sealed trans and a no change recommendation per the factory owners manual. I put 245K on it over a 20 year period. gave it to my daughter and they put another 20K or so on in a couple of years and the fluid/filter had never been changed or had makeup fluid added. Don't know if this one was an exception or this is normal.

Just because the unit is sealed dosent mean that it is non serviceable, its still can be serviced just not by your average joe most if not all transmissions require special manufacturer Pacific fluids and a machine to help service the unit. Regardless of manufacturer specifications A good rule of thumb for transmission servicing would be 60 to 80 thousand miles plus an additive which I always use in all of my vehicles( lubegard) is a very good additive helps control numerous issues that could pop up such as torque converter shudder or slipping. As far as failure goes on Transmissions that have been serviced versus Transmissions that have not I would say that numbers probably less than 20% of what I've seen

9. Banned
    Jerry knows his trannys!

Saying you blew a trany means something different to your mechanic than your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Clif Kincaid View Post
    Jerry knows his trannys!
    Especially the high mileage ones.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

12. Member
    Hate my 2007 Silverado. Probably shouldn't post this it might blow up tomorrow. Tow boat a lot of the time. 180,000 miles no service. Still (knock on wood) no issues, transmission fluid looks and smells good.
    I'm treatin' it like a sore peter, I ain't gonna f*** with it.

bump ...
    Ranting incoherently

14. Member
    I am in the car business and our recommendation is don't touch it, especially a high mile car. The transmission shop down the street will tell you the same thing.

Bump ... because Jerry was eating raw sideways cooked burgers on white bread when I first posted this.
    Ranting incoherently

16. Moderator
    Will the real Jerry T please step forward.

17. Member
    He will show up if Enforcer makes a statement about him.
    Praying for a Cure

When was this posted ?? This is the first I’ve seen it

I’m a service it if it’s been serviced all along and a leave it alone if it hasn’t been serviced .. 200 on the wife’s Tahoe and engine oil is all that’s ever been changed

As for percentage that’s hard to say I think it has more to do with how people drive and crap luck ..drives me crazy to drive with someone who lugs a truck up every hill... wife’s trucks fluid is still pretty red for 200k and I would say 30k of those miles had a bass boat in tow at high speed

The sealed unit is just to drive you back to the dealer for a high priced service and to stop to offs with wrong fluid or additives