Any reason to NOT move batteries forward?

Can anyone give me a good reason NOTto move 2 batteries forward?

I have a 2007 1756VT Lowe that has 3 large batteries and a 6-gallon gas tank all in the stern hold. I have room up under the forward deck for the two trolling motor batteries (24 v system).

The boat squats in the stern, especially with my large butt back there. She is set up as a Side Console, even though the original owner bought her without the console.

Unless I find someone with a good reason to keep the setup as it is, tomorrow the batteries get moved.

Is it porpoising from too much weight in the back?

Iam moving mine forward. It will help on windy days. I prefer the batteries forward, because I will have more room for pp’s. I do have a 6 gal tank now, from the 21 gal. I have a 60hp, so the boat isn’t as bad as it would sit with a 75. Iam going to a tiller, so my main goal is to get the boat to run flat. For the rivers. It should carve corners better.

Your only negative is not as much bow lift. For more speed. For me Iam way pass those days.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

4. Not Banned
    Just make sure they are secured really well. I ran batteries in a boat designed for rear batteries in the front for years. I may even try a middle/port side mount to even out the lean when running. At least opposite of the rear battery and tank if you can do it.

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Yes there is. The ride is much rougher for batteries up front. Not a reason not to do it, but a reason to be sure they are tied down well.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

The bow up attitude is better when you get caught in bad weather, maybe not as likely in a river...
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

7. Member
    Thanks, guys. Some great observations. I hadn't given enough thought to tieing them down better. I will do that now.

She is not porpoising to any great degree. I can adjust the attitude with the power tilt. My biggest reason to do this is that I fish in extremely shallow water ( 5 inches and up ) on the Texas flats. Floating flat can get me into places that a "stern-down" tilt won't.

I normally don't run in big water, so the less-smooth ride shouldn't be too much of a concern. The V takes a lot of the bounce out. I'm used to flat bottom tinnys and Carolina Skiffs.

Thanks....

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Be sure if you move the batteries forward that the forward portion of the boat is well supported by the trailer as the extra weight bouncing along the highway can put a hook in the hull over time. I have personally had this happen, although it was with a very light duty v-bottom hull. Otherwise it can help balance a boat.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

9. Member
    Good idea to also check the trailer. I can add additional support at that point if necessary. Glad I asked here. Thanks...

10. Member
    Don't hook anything up, take out the batteries and either move them up or put equivalent weight up front and see how the boat runs. If you like it great, if not, at least you didn't make any permanent changes.

11. Member
    I just brought the boat home and have decided to wait before moving the batteries.

I found that the place where they would fit is angled back quite a bit. My present batteries are the old-fashioned, lead-acid style. I am concerned that just putting around, or, worse yet, when hitting a lot of waves, the acid would spill out.

I'd have them in a battery case, but a battery case containing acid, sloshing around inside of my aluminum boat, doesn't give me good vibes. I am not even sure that I can put a top on the battery case, given the height restrictions. The new location would be pretty hard to get to in order to remove the case and check things as it is.

Sooner or later these batteries will die. Probably sooner because the original owner didn't properly fill them, which I found out after I bought the boat. When they die, I will probably buy sealed AGMs. They won't have any angle or spill issues.

Truthfully, I've only had this boat out 7 or 8 times. I really don't know its shallow-floating-capability very well. We shall see. Maybe I don't have to do anything. That would be a pleasant surprise.

12. Member
    A buddy of mine cracked a battery that was in the bow. Battery came loose and landed on top of the threaded rod part of the bow eye

13. Member
    Well, anything can, and will, happen. I've decided to NOT do anything until I need to buy some AGMs. They can be positioned on their side, and have no leakage nor gassing issues. No battery will hold up to being impaled on a bow eye, however. Ha Ha