Great video on updating Navionics cards

Just wanted to share a pretty good video on how to update a Navionics card. How many of you actually update your map software or unit software?

2. Banned
    I keep my units software updated but don't worry about the cards. I figure the lake contours don't change so why bother?

Quote Originally Posted by psj706 View Post
    I keep my units software updated but don't worry about the cards. I figure the lake contours don't change so why bother?
    Kentucky Lake was re-surveyed by Navionics a few years ago. THAT was a contour map change. They do new surveys and re-surveys constantly.

Do your waters have the current detail like this?

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by psj706 View Post
    To be honest, the first maybe 6 years of using mapping cards I didn't update them, but recently I have had huge gains from updating regularly. With SonarChart community data being added so frequently, my maps are getting WAY more detailed every time I update. Also, I personally have gone out and recorded sonar logs for the lakes I fish and have created contours where there was none before. If you fish any current driven lakes or rivers, it certainly has made a big difference for me because I can keep updated on changing contours in those systems.

Most of the maps stay relevant in terms of map detail but if you have a creek or small body of water that has no detail, I would bet you could update your card and find someone has surveyed it recently through SonarCharts.

5. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    What is the fee for this service and how often or long can you do it?
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSolo View Post
    To be honest, the first maybe 6 years of using mapping cards I didn't update them, but recently I have had huge gains from updating regularly. With SonarChart community data being added so frequently, my maps are getting WAY more detailed every time I update. Also, I personally have gone out and recorded sonar logs for the lakes I fish and have created contours where there was none before. If you fish any current driven lakes or rivers, it certainly has made a big difference for me because I can keep updated on changing contours in those systems.

Most of the maps stay relevant in terms of map detail but if you have a creek or small body of water that has no detail, I would bet you could update your card and find someone has surveyed it recently through SonarCharts.
    I have uploaded about 300 recordings to the Sonar Charts program. Now there are HD contours for waters that had 8', 10', or no contours, or no lake at all with Navionics Nautical Charts.

This is what Navionics had for their Nautical Chart data before I did the sonar logging for this 62 acre recreational lake:

This is their new Nautical Chart since they had to redraw the shoreline to use all the data I uploaded:

This is the Sonar Charts map using my sonar logs:

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twitch View Post
    What is the fee for this service and how often or long can you do it?
    You need a Navionics+ card so you would have the initial cost of the card. For me my card was was $99 and that will get you one year of unlimited updates. You can update daily if you want. Then you can renew at the end of the year ($99) for me.

8. mikesxpress
    I never click the box to download community edits. You have Chip, Buffy, and Bubba uploading crap from who knows what kind of boat mounted gear that is in what kind of shape, providing data that no one should trust. Just the mapped data.

9. Member
    What is going to happen now with Garmin buying them out?
    I know the Garmin maps have a lot of things that are not on mine.