Banned

Semi Auto Shotgun Recoil

I don’t own the particular guns being discussed in shotgun wars in the lounge. I do have a Beretta A390 and a Benelli Montefeltro. Recoil is not a great deal different between the two, except the Benelli cycles much quicker and seems more violent, while the Beretta cycles more smoothly over a relatively longer period of time. Neither really seems to kick harder. Are the newer models appreciably different?

2. Member
    The newer Benelli SBE have recoil reducers built in mine and most of the others referred to in that thread were the earlier model.
    2016 Lowe FS 1710
    2016 Mercury Pro XS 115

3. Member
    Recently purchased a new Browning A5 Sweet 16. Its an inertia gun, although a 16 only shoots 2 3/4" shells, this one does have a little bit of recoil noticeable during clays shooting. Maybe its where Ive always been used to a 20 gauge, but I'm sure in the field the recoil will hardly be noticeable.

Never had a gas loader before.

4. Member
    I have a original Belgium Sweet Sixteen that was my Grandads, it's recoil operated the whole barrel goes back into the receiver when fired.
    2016 Lowe FS 1710
    2016 Mercury Pro XS 115

5. Member
    Beretta A400 extreme unico with kick off system. Stock has a shock absorber and it works.
    2010 Xpress X21TS. 250 proXS
    2015 1860 grizzly. 40 Merc 4s

6. Member
    Been shooting a SBE1 since the late 90's. I added a limbsaver recoil pad to it. Used to shoot 3.5" almost exclusively, but now 3" mainly. Never had an issue with the recoil, but I am not that sensitive about recoil.

7. Member
    It’s hard to compare recoil between two different guns sometimes. 1, the fit of the stock and the geometry of the gun is going to have a significant affect on your felt recoil. 2, the weight of the gun has a big impact on the felt recoil. 3, the actual recoil energy generated by an identical payload/velocity in identical weight guns will be the same regardless of the different action-types, the difference in some guns is that they take a tiny fraction of that energy and use it to operate the action--this isnt usually that big of a difference though. 4) Comparing 1 shot from each gun there isnt much different in most cases. Comparing over an entire day of sporting clays and an entire flat of ammo, the cumulative difference can be massive. Cumulative recoil matters.

8. T Dub
    Anyone >150lbs shouldn't be concerned with recoil unless you are shooting very high volume in a t-shirt

9. Member
    ...Or have an injury, but generally agree. Personally a day of hunting never bothered me, but I also never saw the need for huge payloads or velocities (shooting mostly lead ammo for bird hunting, steel is probably different). However, when I was shooting a lot of sporting clays I found cumulative recoil made a really big difference toward the end of a day, but that was 4 or 5 boxes of shells on a quickie evening and then an entire flat or more every weekend. Also, I've done a bunch of stock fitting and stock making on shotguns for both target shooting and hunting, and can say definitively that the fit and shape of the stock makes a really big difference in how recoil feels and how it's absorbed by your body, and regardless of whether you can take it that can help with a fast and accurate follow-up shot due to better handling the recoil from just 1 shot.

10. Member
    If you look at the recoil curve of gas vs inertia they have about the same amount, its just a gas gun in spread out over a longer period of time lowering felt recoil.
    Skeeter Sx186 w/ yamaha 150

When a man fires his Benelli at his intended game, he feels nothing. Now, at the range is a different story.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

12. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    A sore shoulder after a day in the field is like a sore thumb after a day in a bass boat. It’s a good hurt.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    A sore shoulder after a day in the field is like a sore thumb after a day in a bass boat. It’s a good hurt.
    To a point maybe. But shooting a lot you will start missing more, and after decades of this you may actually have permanent damage from it. I like to hit what I shoot at, and I have no intention of having the issues I see some of the old guys at the range with. If you're just hunting its probably a non-issue, but if you're shooting a lot it's real.

14. Member
    I don't give a damn what you shoot at with an old Franchi 48-AL ultra light 12ga, you WILL feel it.

This whole thread is why I do not like spring guns.
    1997 STRATOS 285 PE EVINRUDE INTRUDER 175

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadsc View Post
    If you look at the recoil curve of gas vs inertia they have about the same amount, its just a gas gun in spread out over a longer period of time lowering felt recoil.
    This was my observation in the OP. I thought maybe the newer gas operated semis might have better figured out how to bleed off unneeded gas. It seems as if the inertia guys have learned how to use non static weights in the butt to reduce recoil.

16. Member
    The old h&k benillis kick like a mule. My new sbe 3 is not terrible but any gas gun made is softer shooting than any inertia gun. I duck hunt about 100 days a year and shoot a lot of steel 3.5". I know somebody will come along and tell me I don't need a 3.5" but they don't make a 4".

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hog power View Post
    Beretta A400 extreme unico with kick off system. Stock has a shock absorber and it works.
    I agree. I've been shooting mine now for a couple of weeks, and It's the finest, mildest recoiling 3.5 inch gun I've ever owned. And I have/do own most of them.

And I shoot 3 or 4 cases of 3.5 inch loads at waterfowl every year so I know the difference in recoil and overall quality.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Capw View Post
    When a man fires his Benelli at his intended game, he feels nothing. Now, at the range is a different story.
    Been saying this for years!
    2016 Lowe FS 1710
    2016 Mercury Pro XS 115

19. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hog power View Post
    That is what I waterfowl hunt with.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!