Thread: F150 tires

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Banned
    Definitely 10 ply, the stock 4 ply is more suitable for a car than a truck.

From 20+ years of experience with F150s, Jeep Wranglers, and Ford Rangers, there's two choices, and whichever one you pick depends on your typical use.

Michelin Defender LTX M/S - more of a street tire with light off-road use and wet boat ramps, perfect for the weekday road warrior with a 30 minute one way or more daily commute who hunts a lot on weekends and find himself on field roads, dirt trails, etc.

BFGoodrich All-Terrain KO2 - good street ride and quiet for the aggressive tread that it has, snow rated tire, incredible off-road, very solid sidewalls with excellent puncture resistance, great for the weekday commute that's pretty short, and for the nastier trails on the weekend. The initial KO was great but didn't last too long so it got a little bit of a bad wrap, that was corrected with the KO2.
    Last edited by artcarney_agr; 12-15-2017 at 08:00 AM.

2. Member
    Anything BUT Goodyear and you will most likely be happy. Oh how I hate Goodyear truck tires - pure garbage IMO.

For the record I'm running BFG All-Terrain TA/KO2s.

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Imavol View Post
    Michelin LTX MS tires I have been buying for over 15 years now.
    Just an FYI, the Michelin LTX MS series was discontinued a couple of years ago and is now called the Michelin Defender LTX M/S

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Parch07 View Post
    Anything BUT Goodyear and you will most likely be happy. Oh how I hate Goodyear truck tires - pure garbage IMO.
    Those stock Goodyears are definitely garbage. Ford puts them on stock because they give the best gas mileage. I absolutely hate those tires and they are always getting a hole poked in them. I honestly don't know how Goodyear stays in business, they must be making up the difference on their commercial products for heavy trucks, construction equipment, etc.

5. Member
    +2 on the Michelin Defenders. The worst tires I have ever had on my last two F-150's was the stock BF Goodrich ones, they were cheap and did not last long or wear well. FWIW

6. Banned
    no problems with my stock goodyears. as long as they pull my boat up the ramp and give me the best mileage, i'm good with them

Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post

Michelin Defender LTX M/S - more of a street tire with light off-road use and wet boat ramps, perfect for the weekday road warrior with a 30 minute one way or more daily commute who hunts a lot on weekends and find himself on field roads, dirt trails, etc.

BFGoodrich All-Terrain KO2 - good street ride and quiet for the aggressive tread that it has, snow rated tire, incredible off-road, very solid sidewalls with excellent puncture resistance, great for the weekday commute that's pretty short, and for the nastier trails on the weekend. The initial KO was great but didn't last too long so it got a little bit of a bad wrap, that was corrected with the KO2.
    Pretty much the above is my experience too with a couple of comments. The KO2s tend to hydroplane much quicker than the Michelins they are louder as well. Also, the Michelins grip on snow and mud is as good as 99% of the population will need. I always buy Michelins.

My son put Kuhmo Crugen HT51s on his 4Runner since the Michelins were out of his budget. It seems to be a Michelin LTX copy. He is very happy with them

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadsc View Post
    Hankook dynapro atm's. Love them and pretty cheap. A little loud though. E-rated no doubt about it.
    I just put a set of these on my Ram in last July. I have about 9000 on them now and they seem like pretty good tires. I haven't noticed any more noise than the wranglers that came on the truck.

9. Member
    Definitely 10 ply, the stock 4 ply is more suitable for a car than a truck.

From 20+ years of experience with F150s, Jeep Wranglers, and Ford Rangers, there's two choices, and whichever one you pick depends on your typical use.

Wouldn't 10 ply tires be a little stiff for most people? They are more for a real work truck, not a bassboat puller.

Maybe, but the BBC crowd requires them on your F350 diesel which is the minimum truck to pull your 3500 pound bassboat. All paid with cash of course.
    Last edited by 06 SB; 12-15-2017 at 11:31 AM.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadsc View Post
    Hankook dynapro atm's. Love them and pretty cheap. A little loud though. E-rated no doubt about it.
    Have these on my 2012 ram 1500 and like them alot for the $$$.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jigman51 View Post
    Wouldn't 10 ply tires be a little stiff for most people? They are more for a real work truck, not a bassboat puller.
    Only if you run them at a high air pressure. 40 psi is about right though they are rated for 80 - if you run them at 80 you will definitely be feeling it.

I can't ever tell all that much difference in stiffness between the 4 ply and 10 ply, I will say the 10 ply corner a lot better whereas the 4 ply just flexed WAY too much in the corners (most noticeable on interstate exit ramps). The 10 ply also seems to resist punctures a whole lot better too.

Only if you run them at a high air pressure. 40 psi is about right though they are rated for 80 - if you run them at 80 you will definitely be feeling it.

I can't ever tell all that much difference in stiffness between the 4 ply and 10 ply, I will say the 10 ply corner a lot better whereas the 4 ply just flexed WAY too much in the corners (most noticeable on interstate exit ramps). The 10 ply also seems to resist punctures a whole lot better too.
    I agree with everything you said. I honestly can't see any reason why someone wouldn't buy 10 ply tires
    They are just better in every way especially mileage life and much harder to puncture if you spend time in places where a flat or a tow truck would be a pain.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12