Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Screw an HOA and nosey azz busy body neighbors.

Screw integrity and consideration for others...

3. Member
    I used to not have a HOA at my old house had a little ground it was great. We moved to a very nice subdivision 4 years ago and have strict hoa laws, and I yes I abide by them but HATE them. I am solving that problem and looking for ground to buy so I don't have to put up with there crap. Old retired people have nothing better to do than bitch about stuff.

4. BBC Fantasy Fishing Organizer BasserJim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSexyPhoenix View Post
    It just gets old seeing everyone wanting to sue somebody for stuff they really have no business worrying about.
    I’d argue that statement

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    I understand that, but this doesn't sound like that in this case, in my opinion, only a idiot would sign anything that allows other to dictate what you can or can't do on anything.
    Then that idiot should not have purchased the property in first place. Right!!! He knew the covenants when he purchased the property so he is legally responsible to follow them. It is very sad though that one has to get an attorney to enforce those covenants which people agree to follow when they purchase property. I have lived in several subdivisions with covenants and never found any of the covenants to be oppressive but only to keep the neighborhood nice.

Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    Big Problem

Dammit! I told the kids to leave the door open, reading in the dark will ruin their eyes.
    Patch Pirate In Training
    XPress H20B 115HP Yamaha
    Raymarine a78
    https://bigbassflies.blogspot.com

7. Member
    We only have a neighborhood association and they meet once every quarter. There are no dues and any restrictions are placed by the city. Interesting to me was that i wanted to build a 1200 square foot garage but was told i couldn't because my house is only 1100 square feet and you can't have a detached building larger than the square footage of your house in this neighborhood. I sent some documents to the city and my realtor that showed my house was 2200 square feet because they included the basement when we purchased 20 years ago. The basement has no egress. If they work with me i will put in an egress if i have to. My Neighborhood association has no problem with the building and i have letters of support from them, we will see how it goes. My lot is 125 ft by 250 ft and the house sits to the front of the lot and street so i have plenty of room. I may have to add to my existing one care garage if all else fails.

If some of the rules in these yuppie divisions are "no trucks in driveway, no boats, no trailers, no garages", then where do you put your toys?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OSUDVM View Post
    Then that idiot should not have purchased the property in first place. Right!!! He knew the covenants when he purchased the property so he is legally responsible to follow them. It is very sad though that one has to get an attorney to enforce those covenants which people agree to follow when they purchase property. I have lived in several subdivisions with covenants and never found any of the covenants to be oppressive but only to keep the neighborhood nice.

In my case i would not recoup any money but it would be added value to the place. I have no excuse but never looked at anything like covenants before and had no thought of a garage at the time. I would not spend the money in a court battle and there are other options like relocation. I think associations should evolve with time and these things could be worked out. You can bet your bottom dollar if someone of influence lives in an HOA and they want something they will get it, it is the way of the world.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    In my case i would not recoup any money but it would be added value to the place. I have no excuse but never looked at anything like covenants before and had no thought of a garage at the time. I would not spend the money in a court battle and there are other options like relocation. I think associations should evolve with time and these things could be worked out. You can bet your bottom dollar if someone of influence lives in an HOA and they want something they will get it, it is the way of the world.
    As I stated earlier rules are meant to be broken/ bent as they benefit certain individuals!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5-Dinks View Post
    As I stated earlier rules are meant to be broken/ bent as they benefit certain individuals!
    Agree. I would have taken the plans and an artists rendition to the HOA and tried to get them to revise some of their rules first.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LOSTTEXAN View Post
    Its all subjective.
    The tin in the first pic is worth a lot more than the tin in your second pic to more people than you would think.

Besides, in the end they are both just tin buildings....
    Defore and after pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by river zx225 View Post
    I used to not have a HOA at my old house had a little ground it was great. We moved to a very nice subdivision 4 years ago and have strict hoa laws, and I yes I abide by them but HATE them. I am solving that problem and looking for ground to buy so I don't have to put up with there crap. Old retired people have nothing better to do than bitch about stuff.

I guess you didn't know what the rules were when you bought your house?

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

Quote Originally Posted by OSUDVM View Post
    Exactly. When you purchase a piece of property covered by covenants and restrictions you are basically agreeing with them and giving your word to follow them. Some peoples word isn't worth much.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

15. BBC Fantasy Fishing Organizer BasserJim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tlarcher View Post
    Oh my..... a man built a building on his own property. Whatever shall I do,,,,,because I can't just mind my own business and my own property. God forbid a man have something to store, a racecar, boat, goats......who cares!!!!
    The point is he doesn’t have the right to build that building, regardless of whose property it is.

Quote Originally Posted by BasserJim View Post
    The point is he doesn’t have the right to build that building, regardless of whose property it is.
    again, how do we know that? none of us have seen any agreement with his signature, none of has seen anything other than the word of the OP,we don't know how it was written up so we don't know if there is a loophole. I have a question, if your neighborhood decides to form a HOA, and you don't want to be a part of it, can you tell them to go pound sand, and can they enforce their rules on you?

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by river zx225 View Post
    Sounds like you’re a natural.

thought of another question, is there anyway to opt out of them?

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    Screw an HOA and nosey azz busy body neighbors.
    In the next neighborhood over from mine a painter was getting a bunch of grief from his HOA about parking his work truck in the driveway and not the garage. The covenants of that HOA say houses can only be painted earth tone colors. He painted his house a horrible pink. The HOA took him all the way to court, he took with him a piece of pink marble that was a exact match to the color of his house. The judge was great he said marble is definitely a earth tone and sent the HOA packing and that the HOA might want to quit being so nosey on what people park in their driveway.
    John the Garage Doorman

20. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    My city ordinance states no boats/RV's/trailers/construction vehicles parked on street or in yards for more than 24 hours, also no wrecks/inoperable vehicles or non tagged vehicles as well in your driveway or on the street,,,and they do mark the tires and check back. Also states what kind of permanent structures can be built and how far from property lines and easements.(City-1 big HOA)

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast