Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    How do you know I don't? got a neighbor with several junk cars in his field within sight, do I like it? no, but not my property.
    While I would never tell a neighbor how to live their life YOU MUST have some sort of rules within the community. For people that live on acres of land it's not a big deal. I don't believe that is the case here. But those of us who live the "burbs" life, you MUST have restrictions. I don't know your situation but lets just say you live in a typical subdivision with neighbors on all sides. Dozens of homes on the street. How would you like it if the neighbor to your left opened up a dog kennel and had 50 dogs at a time? Yapping all time but no county law that forbids it. Traffic to pick up these pooches is a nonstop flow up and down the street. The other neighbor to your right starts a pig farm and stinks to the high heavens 24/7. The neighbor across the street is running for political office and puts two 50ft x 50ft highway billboards in his front yard so it can be seen in 4 counties. Those signs block the sun from 9am until 4pm and then the neon lights from 8pm til 5am are enough to burn your retinas. I realize these are extreme and hypothetical but you get my point. Situations can not only make it almost unbearable to live next to an a$$hat but also can effect property values, bring in crime, effect education systems, etc. There are ramifications that you may not realize for just allowing "free range" with the "their property, their business" mentality. Food for thought.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsktball55 View Post
    When you CHOSE to buy into a subdivision you sign that you will abide by the laws of that subdivision. If you don't like it, don't buy a house in that subdivision. HOA are designed to protect the property values of everyone. I bought a nice house in a nice subdivision, I don't want someone coming in and dumping a pos trailer on the lot next door and ruining my property value. I chose to buy into a subdivision that will protect my property value. If you don't like the rules, don't buy there.
    The problem lies in the fact that in a subdivision where houses are feet away from one another, what you do you your property affects my property and while you have the right to do what you want on your property, you don't have the right to affect mine.
    I know a HOA is a dealbreaker for me(and so many others) that I can't imagine it helps your property value by eliminating so many potential buyers.

3. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Neighbor told me I couldnt raise chickens. I went and checked the ordinance. For years he told all his neighbors chickens where not allowed and they bought it. The ordinance states chickens are allowed unless they become a noise nuisance. I bought 8 hens and he cannot do a thing about it. He has tried and city came and checked and said all good. He is "the guy" that worries what everyone else does on their properties. My chicken pen is chain link and custom made and actually looks better than his garage and fencing,,,

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

4. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSexyPhoenix View Post
    I see a bunch of people defending covenants and homeowners associations but I still haven't seen anyone say they would sue their neighbor over a metal building. In all my years of settling disputes as a police officer I would say this isn't really about a metal building. Something else has happened and the metal building is just a means to an end. If it really is just about a metal building then I'm glad the OP isn't my neighbor.
    Post 34,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by bassnpro1 View Post
    I know a HOA is a dealbreaker for me(and so many others) that I can't imagine it helps your property value by eliminating so many potential buyers.
    I 100% disagree. I am a "city slicker" so to speak and the HOA PROTECTS ME from morons that have no common decency for their fellow neighbor. I also don't think having a HOA deters 95% of potential home buyers. At least in my neck of the woods. This is only speaking for suburbs living. For those that live on 5, 10,50, 100 acres it's a moot point. I could have less what you do over there as long as you don't bother me or effect my property, either physically or financially.

Quote Originally Posted by Bsktball55 View Post
    When you CHOSE to buy into a subdivision you sign that you will abide by the laws of that subdivision. If you don't like it, don't buy a house in that subdivision. HOA are designed to protect the property values of everyone. I bought a nice house in a nice subdivision, I don't want someone coming in and dumping a pos trailer on the lot next door and ruining my property value. I chose to buy into a subdivision that will protect my property value. If you don't like the rules, don't buy there.
    The problem lies in the fact that in a subdivision where houses are feet away from one another, what you do you your property affects my property and while you have the right to do what you want on your property, you don't have the right to affect mine.
    Just read this. Exactly. Nailed it.

7. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bassnpro1 View Post
    There are a lot of people who won't buy unless there is an HOA to protect their investment.

Could be worse, had a neighbor that built a junky pieced together garage a couple feet over on our property, we warned him when he first started building it that he was on the line or over it. He tried to start a fight with me about it, called codes and he ended up having to bulldoze it after spending a couple grand on surveyors. trying to prove it was his land. (it wasn't) He has been a horrible neighbor (to many things to go into detail), even offered to buy his land at twice what he paid for it a 6 months earlier to just get rid of him and "finish" the property since we own all around him.
    Stroker DC21 Mercury 250 XB

9. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulkamaniac View Post
    While I would never tell a neighbor how to live their life YOU MUST have some sort of rules within the community. For people that live on acres of land it's not a big deal. I don't believe that is the case here. But those of us who live the "burbs" life, you MUST have restrictions. I don't know your situation but lets just say you live in a typical subdivision with neighbors on all sides. Dozens of homes on the street. How would you like it if the neighbor to your left opened up a dog kennel and had 50 dogs at a time? Yapping all time but no county law that forbids it. Traffic to pick up these pooches is a nonstop flow up and down the street. The other neighbor to your right starts a pig farm and stinks to the high heavens 24/7. The neighbor across the street is running for political office and puts two 50ft x 50ft highway billboards in his front yard so it can be seen in 4 counties. Those signs block the sun from 9am until 4pm and then the neon lights from 8pm til 5am are enough to burn your retinas. I realize these are extreme and hypothetical but you get my point. Situations can not only make it almost unbearable to live next to an a$$hat but also can effect property values, bring in crime, effect education systems, etc. There are ramifications that you may not realize for just allowing "free range" with the "their property, their business" mentality. Food for thought.
    HOA.s help solve a big portion of the decline in the fabric of our country...

10. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Each person has the right and capability to live where they want. If you are for HOA's, great. If you are not then great. Each person has their reasons. We must respect those reasons and laws and by-laws as they apply to each person. I choose to live outside the burbs and do what I please with my property as do most of the few neighbors I have.(Now all I need are 4 cinder blocks for my old truck in the front yard and a new(old couch) on the front porch)

11. Member
    I know of some HOA's that regulate what plants you can plant in your own yard, what vehicles have to be parked out of site, what roof you can put on your own home that your paying for along with the HOA dues. My ex MIL lived in a suburb of Chicago and they wouldn't let you park a pick up truck anywhere on your property if that truck can be seen from the street and absolutely NO boats or a trailer of any kind can be parked in view of the street.

Screw that!!!

That's why I live in the country.
    Hi Mike.

12. Banned
    I just love seeing all the strict "law and order" folks, that love being on the moral high ground, come up with reasons it's OK to violate a contract.

I have a Question, what gives anyone the right to tell someone what they can and can't do on they're own property if it is legal and in this case built legally?
    great question and you must not live in a development with restrictions. These restrictions are signed when you purchase a home. Its black and white and unless there is a revision there's not much you can do. Like my HOA told me when I wanted to build a building, I should've read the restrictions before purchasing and if I didn't like it, buy somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkamaniac View Post
    I 100% disagree. I am a "city slicker" so to speak and the HOA PROTECTS ME from morons that have no common decency for their fellow neighbor. I also don't think having a HOA deters 95% of potential home buyers. At least in my neck of the woods. This is only speaking for suburbs living. For those that live on 5, 10,50, 100 acres it's a moot point. I could have less what you do over there as long as you don't bother me or effect my property, either physically or financially.
    exactly

15. Member
    Definitely file action, as long as you are correct, you'll be reimbursed legal expenses.

As for the HOA love/hate relationships, they aren't for everyone.
    It's a personal decision based on preferences and they ARE pros and cons to both scenarios.

My homes are both in HOAs and both happen to be the safest and most coveted areas in each city.
    Real estate values are not only intact, they are higher than market average.
    Property is on the market days or weeks, not months or years.
    Currently, we have 7 homes for sale, out of roughly 600, in the two neighborhoods combined.
    I wouldn't exactly deem that ratio to represent undesirable housing.

16. Banned
    Not so fast spanky, the county gave him a permit, so I say it's legal
    Yeah, maybe he got a variance from the county?

17. Member
    My boss was on the HOA board and always talking about it. Well, she got her roof replaced. A neighbor noted that it wasn't an approved color, per the HOA. So she got the HOA rules changed to allow the color of single she picked. I doubt she would have done that for someone not on the board.

Some regulation to protect property values is nice. Some HOA's are extreme. Square foot requirements, keep your grass under a foot tall, not having 5 trailers parked in your yard, keep the trash cleaned up, no thrown together outbuildings built out of scrap from the dump, etc are all reasonable. Telling me I can't park my $45,000 truck in my driveway because it's a truck, but I can park a $500 pos car in my driveway, telling me what plants I can plant, type of roof, etc. Are crap. But if that's what you want and buy into a subdivision with those rules, then live by them. Don't buy into said neighborhood and then complain when you knew up front what the restrictions were.

Quote Originally Posted by bdog7198 View Post
    You begin to care real quick when you go to sell and after taking care of your house you get less money for it because the neighbors house is trashed.

If the neighbor did not want to abide by the contract he should not have signed it and found a different house.

My rental property is in an HOA, for the most part they are ok to deal with. With so many houses in a smaller area you have to have something to keep things reasonable.
    That was a sarcastic reply to Beast... not my personal opinion.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

20. Banned
    You want this enforced for free even though it is not applicable to city/county code... Why should this be on anyone's dime but yours and others in the restricted area? You have not be paying HOA fees but want the equivalent of enforcement for free. Poor planning on one part (no enforcement entity) should not create a tax payer burden.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast