Add a jack plate to my 06/519

Woundering if someone has a 06/519 with a 200 Opti? I’m thinking of adding a jack plate. I purchased the rig new and it didn’t have a plate. Its always run great out of the box. Thoughts?

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    What kind of thoughts are you seeking? Typically a jack plate will gain you 2-3 mph on top end, and often improves cornering stability as well. If your boat already runs great on low end, there’s not much gain to be expected there. I had a Z119 with a 200 (not quite the same hull) and did not put a jack plate on it. My reasoning was that—like yours—the takeoff was just fine, and whether I ran 67 or 69-70 on top end was not going to matter. I’d still outrun the boats with 150s, and still be outrun by everything with 225 or 250. Even though manual plates are not that expensive, I could not see a whole lot of upside in the expenditure. Obviously, not everyone sees the question that way.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    I thank you for the advice. You’re right it runs great all around. I’ve been updating the rig with new equipment. With the price of a new Ranger tough to go down that road. I’ve installed a Ultrex and large screen electronics she’s in great condition. May spend the money on a power pole instead. I’ve spent a full year with the Ultrex total game changer! Thoughts on Power Pole vs Talon?

Besides the mph increase and potential improved handling there is one more hardly mentioned advantage of a jack plate. It sets your engine back and allows it to also run a bit higher... this in turn gives you more room/water when loading. When you hear about someone hitting a prop/skeg while loading it's usually someone without a plate You can test this by trying to lower your engine all the way while on the trailer, mine will not reach the ground even when all the way tucked, most without plates will hit the ground first

Good time to mention that every time before I load I always put my engine to the top of the TRIM range (when the engine contacts the trim rams when lowering it from the TILT range) before loading. When I see guys with their engines tucked all the way down headed for the trailer I always cringe waiting for the crunch
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

5. Member
    Thanks! Great info!

6. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WjColdWater View Post
    I thank you for the advice. You’re right it runs great all around. I’ve been updating the rig with new equipment. With the price of a new Ranger tough to go down that road. I’ve installed a Ultrex and large screen electronics she’s in great condition. May spend the money on a power pole instead. I’ve spent a full year with the Ultrex total game changer! Thoughts on Power Pole vs Talon?
    I prefer Power Pole over Talon, because of the weight and balance difference (pumps inside the boat and low). That said, both poles and Talons have disadvantages, so you want to be sure that you need/want them before installing. On some rigs, they can hurt hole shot, they can drag water over the stern when coming off plane, and any additional weight on the back end of a boat makes it sit lower in the water. I put one Power Pole on my Z119 after I had it for a year (because everyone was doing it...) and noticed each of these changes from that day forward. Because I don’t use poles much, I probably won’t get them on any future boat. They can be invaluable in certain situations, but non-valuable if you seldom encounter those situations....
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

7. Member
    Adding a plate will also make installing a pole/talon that much easier, and will allow for fine tuning of prop height once the pole/talon is on. Will it make the boat run drastically different, prolly not, but you will see some improvements, and for the added ease of installing anchors to me it would be worth it.

8. Member
    I’ve only had Talons, I’ve had one on each of my last two boats and have installed 7 on others boats, With a jack plate they can be installed with ease in less than an hour. I think a single Talon an an Ultrex is the greatest combination, for me anyhow.

9. Member
    Food for thought. Thanks to all for your thoughts. I agree on the Ultrex total game changer! I’m a retired carpenter/ millwright lots of time to R+D stuff. Love being on the water. Favorite time cold water period no boats and big girls are on. Good fishing.
    Wayne

10. Member
    I put a 6" Bob's on mine and really like the versatility of it. I move it alot according to water conditions.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC