Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Rt178 or 188 base electronics

I have been reviewing discussions on various aluminum boats on BBC and visiting dealers. After looking at G3, Ranger, Triton, and Tracker I have decided to go RT178 or 188. I like the bigger deck and center rod storage on the RT188. I not a big tournament fisherman but I think i might be disappointed with the smaller 178 in the long run. The price for the extra foot is pretty steep but when you see them side by side the 188 stands out.

I am thinking the following options on a RT 188:

115 ProXS
    Ultrex 24v trolling motor
    step
    aluminum wheels and spare
    3 bank charger
    rear tie downs

Whats the basic electronics package would make sense without going crazy on price. I have a relative new HB 698SI from my old boat that I might put on the bow. Any thoughts on console choices? I hope to work a deal in the next two weeks. The other option is to not get anything from the dealer and research it more before getting the boat ready for spring fishing.

Thanks for your input.

2. Member
    Get the biggest screen size you can afford. Also the 4" setback plate and the auto bilge are well worth the money.

3. Member
    Agree with goat and I prefer a boarding ladder, if nothing else for safety. There isn't really a "good deal" on electronics from most manufactures much less Ranger. Your better off not ordering one at the console and calling BBG Marine for another Bird if that's your preference.

Example, I think my Lowrance HDS 7 may have been a 2 grand option? It was already on the boat. I still needed a 300.00 transducer to make the side image work. Plus instillation had I not known how. You're talking what I paid for a HDS12 on my last boat.

Pulling wires in Rangers tube was easy peasy.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat188 View Post
    Get the biggest screen size you can afford. Also the 4" setback plate and the auto bilge are well worth the money.
    This^^^....and skip the "standard electronics", buy them yourself (much cheaper and better selection)

Don’t know what you budget is but you might want to check out Russel marine products (board sponsor). They have some really good bundle deals with savings of over $1000.00. The one I looked at was two HDS9’s, regular transducer, side imaging transducer, NMEA 2000 starter kit, Point 1, and Ethernet cable. I have purchased from there and found them to be really good with customer service and fast shipping.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Trailer brakes are a nice option to have.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

7. Member
    I am getting the boarding ladder, auto bilge pump, SS prop and cover. I forgot to add that to the list. I was thinking that buying the electronics separately would make more sense as I could take my time deciding what I want and get more for my money. I will have time this winter to get that done. I am just trying to get the boat now while the dealer has one and not get in some ordering que that could foul up my spring fishing.

8. Member
    If you are getting an Ultrex, get it with the link feature. Then get yourself a couple of Helix unit and link them together to get the most performance from that new trolling motor. This and the info from oldgoat should get you headed in the right direction.

9. Member
    I love my 178, I like the layout better than the 188.
    2016 Ranger RT178 white
    75 4S Merc, VesselView Mobile
    Simrad Go7, Baystar hydro, SpitFire X7 17p

10. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    There might be a "free" sonar included at the console but you can ask that it not be installed. I'd go the Helix route as suggested above. Also, if you are over 6 ft and/or have a bit of a belly or plan on getting one, get the tilt steering option. The cockpit area is a little tight.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

11. Not Banned
    It's a headache isn't it? I just spent weeks looking at those same boats. I ended up with the G3 instead of the Ranger. Picked it up last week.

What I did was just kept what they put on it factory and bought what I wanted elsewhere. Brian at BBG is great to work with and just over the hill from us in Georgia. Usually have it in 2 days... and no sales tax. I figured I'd find someone wanting the Hook 4 unit and I'd sell it or give it to a kid needing one for his kayak or Jon boat. I'm going to keep the 5" unit in the dash. I bought 2 of the Helix 9s when they were on a stupid cheap cyber Monday sale. You're really not going to make any deals with most boat dealers and units from what I've seen.

Good luck with your search.

12. Member
    I would also get the Aluminum Trailer.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

13. Member
    2 Helix Mega 10's would be my choice if the funds was available.

Quote Originally Posted by Deerchaser View Post
    I love my 178, I like the layout better than the 188.
    Me too. I have zero complaints with mine.
    2022 Xpress H17 - Yamaha SHO 90

15. Member
    Ordered mine without electronics and bought a generation older models for much less. I'm happy for now.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

16. Member
    You may have already considered it, but if not, take a look at the Crestliner VT 17 or 18 for comparison.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stratos284 View Post
    Me too. I have zero complaints with mine.

How does the 60hp work on the RT178?

Quote Originally Posted by Bassin08 View Post
    How does the 60hp work on the RT178?
    It planes faster than any boat Ive owned and it tops out loaded at 35 to 36 with just me and a light load I have hit 38
    2022 Xpress H17 - Yamaha SHO 90

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stratos284 View Post
    It planes faster than any boat Ive owned and it tops out loaded at 35 to 36 with just me and a light load I have hit 38
    What prop are you running? That is good performance for a 60hp!

Quote Originally Posted by Pagregss View Post
    Ordered mine without electronics and bought a generation older models for much less. I'm happy for now.
    I think i would order mine without electronics as well. I think mostly for the fact that I could install them exactly how i want instead of adapting whats there or covering existing holes. Plus you can order the same electronics far cheaper yourself in most cases.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast