USA Gas Cap Pressure

I was opening my gas cap to add Stabil and the release pressure startled me with it's severity. Also some gas dribbled out. Is that normal? Tank is full. Starboard side if that matters. I had returned from trailering it and had backed up driveway maybe 10 minutes earlier. I didn't try the port side. I've never quite experienced such air release from opening a gas cap.

2. Member
    My port side tank does it something isn’t right it shouldn’t build up pressure like that.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

3. Member
    Normal. It's an environmental VOC control feature. Thank a tree hugger!

4. Member
    Thanks for the comments. Never owned a boat this modern and with as much gas capacity. Just something I ran across. Hopefully just completely normal.

5. Member
    I'm not sure what tanks the cats have but a few skeeters have had their tanks gets sucked in due to the vents. Evidentally it's the new EPA stuff on those too

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Addison View Post
    Normal. It's an environmental VOC control feature. Thank a tree hugger!
    Only one tank though the other side don’t do it.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

They all do it in situations, the caps hold about 1.7 pounds of pressure. The one that doesn't has just been releasing prior to opening the cap. It's timing on the fumes developing pressure. That is... unless that caps not working on the pressure valve.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    They all do it in situations, the caps hold about 1.7 pounds of pressure. The one that doesn't has just been releasing prior to opening the cap. It's timing on the fumes developing pressure. That is... unless that caps not working on the pressure valve.
    I think the cap isn’t working it’s everytime you open it only that one tank.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO