Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I can't be certain how much of Stratos was Javlin or vise versa but I do recall owning 3 separate 201's and the hull shape was un-mistakably Stratos. To my knowledge the Javlin moved in with Stratos during the companies decompression which leads me to believe Javlins may have adopted some Stratos characteristics. The original Turbo V stratos hull lasted until 92/93 where the XL took over. You can tell a Stratos XL from most all other boats due to its radial strakes. Conventional boats had sharper 90 degree steps between strakes but the XL employed arched strakes which where much smoother cutting through water. Every Stratos hull from my 93 though the last 2017 EVO had this hull design characteristic with exception to the VLO line. The original 201 was 20'1" and this hull became the 200 XL when the company stretched the hull to 20'9".
    Johnny Morris, being the last owner of Stratos, has since incorporated this hull characteristic into his Nitro brand. To my knowledge, the XL was all Stratos so when someone says that Stratos was using a Javlin hulls, it is more likely to be the other way around. I always compared the Javlin's to the older Turbo V hull Stratos' but Stratos was the flagship of the three bass boat lines and presumably lead the pack in R&D. Before I ordered my first 201 they where advertising it setting speed records with an Evinrude Limited Edition so the hull had a year under it before public sales in late 92. Someone may need to contact Alan Stinson to be certain but I do recall he was the designer for the XL.
    Last edited by Finlander; 07-16-2019 at 02:50 PM.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Finlander View Post
    The original 201 was 20'1" and this hull became the 200 XL when the company stretched the hull to 20'9".

To my knowledge, the XL was all Stratos so when someone says that Stratos was using a Javlin hulls, it is more likely to be the other way around.

Someone may need to contact Alan Stinson to be certain but I do recall he was the designer for the XL.

Over the years the subject of the history of the Stratos 200 hull has been discussed. I was always under the impression the Stratos 200 hull was the mold of the old Javelin 400/R20. However I have recently discovered the the length specifications on the 400/R20 come up shorter than the Stratos 200. The Javelin 409 actually has the same length and with specifications so I am now inclined to believe the Startos 200 hull was the old Javelin 409 mold. If you read the article in the link I posted it states that Alan Stinson made every Javelin mold. It's my understanding that he used one of the Javelin molds (either the 400/R20 or the 409) to create the Stratos 200. The top cap is different but the hull is identical. The article also credits Alan Stinson for creating the 201 hull.

I have physically looked under all the Strato 200 and 201 hulls and they all have the same radial strake design as my 93 but I have not looked at a 93 or older Javelin. I know that OMC owned Hydra Sports, Javelin and Stratos during the XL debut so it is possible they shared the hull from the start. To the best of my knowledge they where both the same below the rub rail by the later 90’s. The top decks are irrelevant and can be altered significantly compared to the hull itself so we agree on that point.
    Last edited by Finlander; 07-16-2019 at 05:39 PM.

Did a little more homework and it appears Javelins and Stratos boats had the exact same post 92 radial strake hulls. It can only be surmised that the parent company, OMC, shared the tech. The only difference was the top deck cap configuration.

5. Member
    well I boat my first Javalin in 1989 is was a 366 with a 115 , love that boat , traded for a new 1993 javalin 389dc with a 150 faststrike , and still have it , replaced 4 trolling motors , just put on a ultrex , countles sonar units , current have 2 onix a 10 on dash and an 8 on bow , when people see my boat they thing its farly new , I always kept covered and waxed , this boat runs as good as when new , just rebuilt the carbs and new seals in lower unit , I have no gelcoat cracks anywhere on this boat , my live well pumps will need to be changed they are getting week ,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12