mercury pro 250 XS

I bought,or, at least thought I bought, a remanufactured 250xs from what is supposed to be a reputable business. What I ended up with was a 225 proxs with the ECM flashed to a 250 and 250 stickers on the cowl. What I find out is that the heads and block are different and just by flashing the ECM it does not make it a 250. The most I can get out of her is 5300rpms. My mechanic recommends that I reflash the ECM back to a 225. Reason being is that the 250 ECM is putting to much fuel n the motor and basically choking it out. Is this possible? Will reflashing the ECM fix the problem? I don't want to spend 700 on reflashing the ECM and not have it work. The other altenative is to have the heads and block redone to a 250 which will cost 2200. I don't want to spend that amount on the motor. There is no legal recourse. Its out of state and no attorney wants to touch it. Any suggestions? Thanks

2. Member
    first youll find more info on your engine in 3.0L section but you may can find a used pcm in for sale section too/but see if you can find someone that will let you run a pcm for a 225 pxs make sure it has same ignition [coils] and throttle cam see how it runs then youll get an idea of what to do/id choke somebody people like that need to be tarred and feathered
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1 on the Tarred/Feathered!

Drop over to the 3L forum, and start a post there. Be sure to include some pictures and the engine Serial Number for assistance.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor