Jump starter recomendation.

Would like recommendations from those who have actually used these on large motors.
    My current jump box is the largest one built but is 3 years old and I'm getting tired of lugging it around. The only time I saw one of the small "wonder" jumpers in use was years ago and it was a joke.. I know things have changed since then and I'm willing to try one.

Keep in mind my biggest concern is not having to spend the night on the Mexican side of Falcon or Amistad in January
    AND this 3.2 Ltr Mercury -- calls for a Minimum of 1000 MCA and believe me in cold weather it takes it.

Thanks Mike.

2. Member
    Mike, install a jump start switch on the boat. Amounts to a "A B" switch where you can go from battery A (cranking) to battery B (one trolling) or both. In both mode, your jumping from the trolling battery and with the combined amperage of the outboard motor will be enough to start the outboard.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

I've thought of that John---
    Just not sure on windy days at Amistad if a trolling mtr battery would be enough help after trolling on high all day.

4. Member
    It combined with what would be left in the cranking should be OK. You would want to head in as soon as it started and not rely on it half the day
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    [/SIGPIC]

5. Member
    I carry a weego in my truck and boat. Only had to use it onbmy truck once but worked great

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    I've thought of that John---
    Just not sure on windy days at Amistad if a trolling mtr battery would be enough help after trolling on high all day.
    i wouldn’t rely on TM batteries on a windy day on Amistad either. Not sure what it is about Amistad but when the wind gets up, and you stay it, it’ll suck the life out of the batteries, even on a 36v set-up, in about 5-6 hours.

7. Member
    John - do you have a wiring diagram for a "home made" version of this, or do you just recommend a factory product?
    Dennis Holder
    2019 Phoenix 921 Pro XP
    2019 Mercury 250 Pro XS 4 stroke

8. Member
    Lowes sells those small compact Li Ion jump packs, we have started completely dead vehicles with them and a diesel one time.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis H. View Post
    John - do you have a wiring diagram for a "home made" version of this, or do you just recommend a factory product?
    I can get you the parts and a diagram.
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by yupitsme View Post
    i wouldn’t rely on TM batteries on a windy day on Amistad either. Not sure what it is about Amistad but when the wind gets up, and you stay it, it’ll suck the life out of the batteries, even on a 36v set-up, in about 5-6 hours.
    Many times I have ran batteries completely down in a tournament fishing main lake stuff.

Merc 3.0 forum has a thread similar to this, I have started my 250 Optimax several times in a day with a 65$ lithium jumpstarter. It seriously works. But all of my lakes are relatively small. If I had major lakes I would get one larger just for peace of mind. Links in the 3.0 Mercury forum
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

12. Member
    Weego saved my butt a couple months ago. Middle of nowhere, I'd probably still be stuck there without it!

I own this one. https://www.amazon.com/PowerAll-PBJS.../dp/B00OV7HKA6 and it wouldn't get a 90HP or a 150HP started. It has started an F150 though. I'll be getting this one for Christmas https://www.amazon.com/PowerUrus-Por.../dp/B0744DKP5D and I hope it works better than the other.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.