Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need a new skillet

Any suggestions for a good 12" non stick skillet ?

2. Member
    Cast Iron- the original non stick

I have a Calphalon 12" and it's pretty good. Use my cast iron stuff most of the time. I tried the TV stuff before. They worked good for a while but crapped out.

The kind with the copper color on the cook side are great. it's the only kind I will buy now.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Ball View Post
    Only way to cook IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by TritonMan250 View Post
    Only way to cook IMO.
    +2 on cast iron
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

7. kenny@bunchmarine
    Quote Originally Posted by sdbrison View Post
    +2 on cast iron
    +3 on cast iron

With a cast iron the type of stovetop you have needs to be considered. Got a glass top? You can get coated pans but on the plain ones look at the bottoms. Some are rougher than 40 grit sandpaper and not real friendly. Screw up and drop one and you're in for a treat, also.

9. Member
    I bought a Lodge brand and i'm having a hard time getting it seasoned well enough for it to be non stick, any suggestions.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Ball View Post
    Do you ever wash them ?

11. kenny@bunchmarine
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    I bought a Lodge brand and i'm having a hard time getting it seasoned well enough for it to be non stick, any suggestions.
    Keep using it and keep seasoning it. Rinse when done, wipe down and lightly coat with oil after every use. I NEVER use soap to clean mine, NEVER. Just HOT water and a rag that doesn't have any soap on it. If you want to speed the process you can do multiple seasonings in the oven at 350-375, rub the oil all over the surface, thinly, place upside down in the oven for an hour or so.. turn the oven off and let it cool in the oven. I'd put something underneath it on the lower rack to catch the excess oil ... foil tends to work ok for me.

Another vote for cast iron!!
    Just can't leave well enough alone!!

98 Stratos 273 w/ 150 Faststrike

13. Member
    agree, cast iron

Stainless Steel Electric skillet, easy wash, can use a Brillo Pad . if needed.. wife uses it and hardly stove top for frying etc

15. Member
    Cast all the way... Have 4 different ones ..

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

16. Member
    Cast iron is an excellent piece of cookware, but in a non-stick pan I'd look for economy first. That doesn't mean a fimsily constricted thin pan, but with non stick (teflon) just go for the maximum thickness aluminum, with a good teflon style coating. Basically, don't spend a ton of cash buying one with a lifetime guarantee, because that's just a bunch of crap talk to get your money. Buy a good cheap one, when it gets scarred up, trash it and get another cheap one.

17. Member
    Thanks for the suggestions.

18. Member
    I've been using a Bakers and Chefs from Sam's for a few years. Been VERY good so far.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GM482V View Post
    I've been using a Bakers and Chefs from Sam's for a few years. Been VERY good so far.
    I use cast iron for general duties, bare stainless for searing meat, and a bakers and chefs nonstick for eggs and such. They are cheap,hold up well and they perform well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Do you ever wash them ?
    We use nothing but cast iron at our cabin on Georgian Bay and I wish I could convince my wife to toss all of our other skillets at home and do the same here. I NEVER wash them. I use a metal spatula to scrape the pan clean and then wipe out with paper towel. If you are not going to use them for a time, coat with olive oil or something similar to prevent rust.
    Last edited by Jeff Hahn; 01-01-2018 at 10:46 PM.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast