98 opti 225 - leaking gear oil. Help

Serial - 0G751130

98 optimax 225

i was just putting my boat away for the winter and noticed I had a small stream of oil running down the front of the outer housing. I just changed the gear oil maybe 3 weeks ago and did not have this problem. I ended up cleaning it up, and tracing it to coming from a small port behind a bolt at the top front of he housing. Did I have a internal seal to bad? Any ideas? I would like some help ASAP because now I am worried about some water getting in there and I don’t need my gear housing freezing... it’s gonna be 7* tonight.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 98 Elite203; 12-13-2017 at 08:49 AM.

If leaking from the top of LU most likely the shift shaft seal or the drive shaft seal.
    It's a common problem with the sports master LU's like are used on Hi-po boats.

Normally caused from overfilling LU or water intrusion from somewhere else.
    First thing I would suggest is to check LU for water. Best bet is to drop LU -- pressure it up and see for sure where the leak is.

3. Member
    I’m going t take the lower unit off today after work.

when I did the gear oil change, I pumped the oil into the bottom port until it dropped out of the top port. Done this for several years and never had a “over fill “ issue but I will check it.

I told him the same. I sent him a link to the better shift shaft seal.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

After you fill it, I think you are supposed to drain 2 ounces out. Or something like that.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

6. Member
    Only if he has a Sportmaster, or a Generation 1 Torquemaster, which I doubt he has on a Standard Optimax.

Click on this>>>>where is oil fill and drain plug on 250 Proxs

7. Member
    I do not need to remove my prop to drain my oil. My vent plug and drain plug are a straight slot screw driver style on the passenger case side.

anyways, I took the housIng off... oil is draining for the night. Only thing I think that looks “off” is the seal around the shifter shafts seems a little more loose then I would like to see.. the holes where the oil was coming out from, was just below this housing in the water jacket ports... only area with any gear oil around it was around the shifter shaft.

8. Member
    I know you don't need to remove your prop, but the information about YOUR lower unit is in post #6 of the thread I gave you.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    I know you don't need to remove your prop, but the information about YOUR lower unit is in post #6 of the thread I gave you.
    Correct. I read that and that’s how I have done it exactly since I got the boat.

10. Member
    Make sure that you level the cavitation plate with a torpedo level. You likely just had a seal failure.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Make sure that you level the cavitation plate with a torpedo level. You likely just had a seal failure.
    Honeslty , I think I made a oil fill mistake. It was very cold out when I did the gear oil. I let it drain for a long time, but with the cold and the thickness of the new oil, I wounder if I pumped it in too much and it was too cold and thick for it to drain out of the check hole quick enough before I put the plug in.

basically this time I put the check plug in when it started coming out of the hole... not when it stopped. Oops.

on a side note, I need a new cowl trim switch as well.
    Last edited by 98 Elite203; 12-13-2017 at 07:32 PM.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

13. Member
    I already replaced the seals and fixed everything. Thanks tho