Thread: Wiring for leds

Wiring for leds

Ok electrical gurus, 2 quick questions. I’m getting ready to install some rigid a-series lights on my boat, I have to extend the leads on 2 of the lights, do I just get the same size wire or do I have to go bigger or smaller? Second question, I’m installing these on an aluminum boat. It says for the install to not use the included ground lugs if on an aluminum boat. If I epoxy a piece of starboard to the inside of my hull and mount the ground lugs to that, would that be ok to do or should I find another way? Thanks in advance!

2. Member
    Those must be designed for cars which use the body for the return leg (ground). Anyhow, if you use the hull of an aluminum boat for return it sets up corrosion. Starboard or Azek will do fine for a terminal block location, just don't ground to the hull.

3. Member
    Sorry I think I used the wrong term, not a lug but a grounding terminal block that all my ground wires will terminate at and then have one wire from there to the negative on the battery. Looks like the base of the block is composite with no metal showing through the bottom, so I’m thinking I should be ok mounting that to the piece of starboard that I will epoxy to one of my aluminum stringers. Am I correct on this?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebait View Post
    Sorry I think I used the wrong term, not a lug but a grounding terminal block that all my ground wires will terminate at and then have one wire from there to the negative on the battery. Looks like the base of the block is composite with no metal showing through the bottom, so I’m thinking I should be ok mounting that to the piece of starboard that I will epoxy to one of my aluminum stringers. Am I correct on this?
    If the terminal block is insulated, why not just epoxy it directly to the stringer. Starboard is polyethylene and can be difficult to bond to.
    2000 Viper Coral 202
    2013 Pro XS 200

5. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    do I just get the same size wire or do I have to go bigger or smaller?
    To be fully accurate, only the manufacturer with the actual design specs can inform you if their power leads can be extended.

Assuming the LEDs will operate satisfactorily on the additional wire's resultant small reduction in voltage, there would be no significant additional fire danger simply extending the leads using the same or larger gauge wiring. Of course the necesary over-current protection on the positive wire would need to be relocated to include the additional lead.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 12-13-2017 at 10:27 PM.