Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pork Loin Question

I have a 5lb pork loin marinating in Italian dressing and plan on cooking it tomorrow, How long and at what temp in the oven? Sidebar: I'm not a cook and usually cook it on a grill so I am clueless.

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    As long as it takes to get the internal temp to 145 and not a minute longer.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    I do 140. With modern pork there is virtually zero risk of trichinosis. Medium temp pork is awesome.

145 is fine if you are afraid of the pink. Don't go any higher than that however.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

4. Member
    Thanks for the advice gents, guess I will randomly pick a temp and just sit around until its done.

Make four or five slits in the roast with a paring knife and stick some peeled garlic cloves down in there.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by medicpelle View Post
    Thanks for the advice gents, guess I will randomly pick a temp and just sit around until its done.
    Oh, you were asking what to set the oven at. 375 degrees. There's no way to tell you how long to cook it for because every piece of meat is different. Everyone needs a remote thermometer for cooking big pieces of meat in the oven. Less than $20 at walmart.

7. Member
    Remote thermometer? lol, I do not cook often nor am I very good at it when I do. So I cooked it at 350 and it took about 90 mins for a roughly 5lbs which is odd because I cooked the other half (5lbs a while back and it took way longer than that. It seemed to get to temp fairly quick. It was not dried out but I could not hardly taste any of the marinate.

8. Member
    .Next time stab the meat with a two prone fork all over then juice it up that way it get inside the meat

9. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Remote thermometer? lol, I do not cook often nor am I very good at it when I do. So I cooked it at 350 and it took about 90 mins for a roughly 5lbs which is odd because I cooked the other half (5lbs a while back and it took way longer than that. It seemed to get to temp fairly quick. It was not dried out but I could not hardly taste any of the marinate.
    Loin just doesn’t pick up flavor from marinade well. I brine them, and sometimes a light coat of rub without salt.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

10. Member
    I used a fork to poke holes in it. Did not seem to help much.

11. Member
    250-275deg until center is 135-140. Pull and let rest 15-20mins before serving.
    Lake&Bay Boca
    SHO

12. Banned
    We always use the crock pot for meat vs an oven. Incredible tenderness.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    We always use the crock pot for meat vs an oven. Incredible tenderness.
    There's a big difference between roasting something in the oven and making it into a pot roast. While either can taste good, they are not replacements for each other.

14. Member
    5lb loin in a crock?

15. Member
    5lb loin in a crock?
    I don't even own a crock pot. There isn't anything that can be cooked in a crock pot that searing on the stove and a braise in the oven can't make better.

16. Banned
    425f for 20 min then lower temp to 325 12- 15 per lb remove when hot 140 internal temp rest 15-20 min wrapped in tin foil

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshfly View Post
    I don't even own a crock pot. There isn't anything that can be cooked in a crock pot that searing on the stove and a braise in the oven can't make better.
    Well said

18. Member
    I cook pork loins occasionally. I sear them on the grill all sides, then wrap them fairly tight with foil and onions, shrooms and anything else I feel like adding, cook until it hits 155 or so internally.
    I bought a meat tenderizer from Amazon. It has about 30 sharp finger piercing needles that come out when you press it firmly against the meat, or your finger. Put it in a baggie overnight in the fridge with Italian Dressing.
    Anyhow I coat the loin with 5th Season meat tenderizer heavily both sides and then carefully go over it with the piercing tool. Always tender, always juicy. Just watch out for your fingers, meat tenderizer really stings in a puncture wound.

A decent marinade for pork is simple. 1/4 cup each of soy sauce and lemon or lime juice. Mix in whatever floats yer boat. Put the pig and juice into a Ziploc bag and roll out the air. A couple or 3 hours minimum. Overnight is OK.

The citrus starts to soften the meat and helps the other flavors to soak in. I do it with pork loin and chops. Baked some breaded chicken thighs last night. Works with tuna steaks also. Birds and fish only need a couple hours max.

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    As long as it takes to get the internal temp to 145 and not a minute longer.
    This ^^^^

I just put some olive oil, black pepper and Lawrys, cook at 250 will take 4 hours or so normally. For sure get a meat thermometer. I have one in the MES now and should be ready in about another hour or so
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast