Need to replace a broken Shimano Crucial......need recommendations.

So I broke my Shimano Crucial CRS-DX68MB Spinning Rod, Medium power, Extra Fast, that I really liked. What is Todays equivalent, or better for this rod in the $200 price range? Is the Shimano Curado a good replacement for the Crucial?
    Last edited by Savage; 12-12-2017 at 08:01 PM.

Was not a fan of the Curado rod, I would contact the Tackle Trap and have them get you in an Expride 6’10 M. Awesome rod and with BBC member price it’s a tad over $200.
    2008 Stratos 294 XL
    2008 Evinrude etec 200 HP H.O.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by p2geo View Post
    Was not a fan of the Curado rod, I would contact the Tackle Trap and have them get you in an Expride 6’10 M. Awesome rod and with BBC member price it’s a tad over $200.
    How do you like the Expride for drop shotting?

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    How do you like the Expride for drop shotting?
    Sorry I was under the impression it was a casting rod, Gary (bronzefly) would be better suited to answer that question.
    2008 Stratos 294 XL

5. Member
    I think Shimano warranty’s crucials with a Zodias if I’m not mistaken. So that would probably be your closest equivalent.

6. Member
    That’s not correct. The Zodias was the replacement for the Cumura.

Crucials are replaced under warranty with Curado rods and everyone I have talked to has said they are great rods. I have not used one (and probably won’t), I’m just providing info here.

As for a replacement, if you can get an expride for around the same price, I would do it in a heartbeat.

7. Member
    If its the old cork model,or even the next model with the EVA handle it has a lifetime replacement. Call Shimano and see what they are offering. If you don't like it, you can always sell it buy something else. I'm dreading the day mine breaks. I had the 7'2 MH XF DS rod and broke the tip, shimano replaced it with the next model crucial with the eva grip. I have a 6'8 Mxf DS, and a 7' MH casting rod left and I am babying them. They are good rods.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassakwards View Post
    If its the old cork model,or even the next model with the EVA handle it has a lifetime replacement. Call Shimano and see what they are offering. If you don't like it, you can always sell it buy something else. I'm dreading the day mine breaks. I had the 7'2 MH XF DS rod and broke the tip, shimano replaced it with the next model crucial with the eva grip. I have a 6'8 Mxf DS, and a 7' MH casting rod left and I am babying them. They are good rods.
    It does have the cork handle. I'm shocked that Shimano might replace this rod.
    Is the lifetime replacement a no questions asked type deal?

9. Member
    It does have the cork handle. I'm shocked that Shimano might replace this rod.
    Is the lifetime replacement a no questions asked type deal?
    It's a lifetime warranty. It used to be over the counter you could take it anywhere that sold them and they would give you a new rod. I accidently broke the tip to first guide off mine putting it in the rod locker and they replaced it no questions asked. Their new rods only have 1 year, if that I think.

10. Member
    Yes new ones have 1 year amd u have to send the whole rod back to shimano. They replace the crucials with the new curado. Just an fyi u are allowed to cut the rod in have to save on shipping. Just note it on the warranty form.

11. Member
    I just got off the phone with Shimano customer service and the guy states that this rod is made after the 2014 cut-off. He tells me the fact the production code (Shimano MK-SP) is embossed on the rod, and is not a sticker, indicates that the rod only has a one year limited warranty. I don't have the receipt, but he states that since it was a one year warranty rod, that I would still be eligible for the Shimano Express Rod Replacement Service.

Basically I have a choice of two rods that I can get for half of the retail price + tax.

My choice is a Curado for $80 + tax, or a Zodias for $100 + tax. Does anybody have any feedback on a Zodias?

12. Member
    Sorry I was mistaken about the Zodias replacing the crucial. I do have a 7’2” mh and love it. It is my dedicated jig rod. Lot of backbone, sensitive and very light. It does have a smaller hand grip. I have big hands and it is still very comfortable paired with a scorpion 70.

I just got off the phone with Shimano customer service and the guy states that this rod is made after the 2014 cut-off. He tells me the fact the production code (Shimano MK-SP) is embossed on the rod, and is not a sticker, indicates that the rod only has a one year limited warranty. I don't have the receipt, but he states that since it was a one year warranty rod, that I would still be eligible for the Shimano Express Rod Replacement Service.

Basically I have a choice of two rods that I can get for half of the retail price + tax.

My choice is a Curado for $80 + tax, or a Zodias for $100 + tax. Does anybody have any feedback on a Zodias?
    The Zodias is a fine rod, I would drop the coin on an Expride.
    2008 Stratos 294 XL

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by p2geo View Post
    The Zodias is a fine rod, I would drop the coin on an Expride.
    I might get both......The Zodias since I can get it for $100+ tax as part of the "Express Rod Replacement" and an Expride using BBC discount.

15. Member
    The shimano zodias spinning rod is one of my favorite rods and they seem more sensitive in my hands than the casting models. I received my on a warranty of a broken cumara and wasn't sure about it at first but grew to love it. Imho i dont think the expride is worth the extra $ over the zodias

16. Member
    I dont care much for the expride. I had 2 of them and sold them both

17. Member
    I have used a Zodias spinning rod and bought a baitcaster . I was really impressed with the spinning rod and the baitcaster 72mh was a pretty good rod for the price. Only reason I replaced it was because I got a good deal on an NRX and I wanted more sensetivity out of the rod I was using for those techniques.

My buddy who bought the 72MH off of me used all crucials before and absolutely loves the Zodias.

18. Member
    Update: I have a new Zodias rod on order using the Shimano "Express Rod Replacement". The total cost was $100.70 and will come with Pre-paid shipping to return my broken rod to Shimano re-using the shipping tube from the new rod. Not a bad deal for me, since I won the Crucial rod at a tournament, and used it for a couple of years before it broke.

19. Member
    I have a brand new Expride spinning rod for sale cheap in the classifieds. Shimano sent it out as a cumara replacement.