852s nrx dropshotting

Just wondering for those of you using this rod for drop-shotting what weight size you are using as today I tried it with a quarter ounce in about 15 to 20 feet of water and felt I was lacking sensitivity due to the stiffness of the tip. I do have an 822 that I usually use however I am trying to plan on doing some Co angling this year and focusing down to one spinning rod if possible and trying to get this to do double duty but I do drop shot quite a bit so looking for some insight and feedback. Thank you. I was using 8lb tatsu fluorocarbon and not braid so I'm wondering if that did play a difference as well. Thank you.
    Where are the BIG ones? When are we going?
    LOOKING for a Great deal on a Slightly used 20-21' Boat.

2. Member
    I use the same line when drop shotting, and recently acquired the 852s NRX this past fall. It only has two outings under its belt but nothing in water deeper that about 10 or 12 feet. Like you I also typically run a 1/4 oz weight for drop shotting. I did not notice any lack of feel or bite detection. I also tied a small hair jig on the same setup and felt like it was on point as well. I bet for a guy fishing this drop shot vertically you could probably get away with just under a 1/2 oz weight plus hook and plastic even though this would be slightly outside the rods limits. If you were casting the DS rig I would probably try stepping up a 5/16 or 3/8 oz weight max.

You might try an outing where you fish both setups side by side with the same weight, hook, bait, etc ... talking about the 852 and 822. Then try changing the weight size of the 852 to see if you there is a difference then other than the rod having to work with a greater weight.

I agree though the 852 would be about as versatile a spinning rod as a guy could ask for especially if the # of rods is limited.

3. Member
    852 all the way for dropshotting. 1/4 oz weight pitching around cover I have landed numerous bass over 5 lbs. and quite a few up to 8. I have gone back and forth and swore never again, I have three and they are all I use for drop shot, wacky rig, shaky head. I have caught fish drop shotting in up to 50 feet with this rod in Arizona. All you need.

4. Member
    I believe especially around cover the 852s would work well as has the backbone but my main question has to do with the softness or "perceived" sensitivity with the stiffness of the tip vs a true dropshot rod as well as the stiffer tip makes it harder to "feel" the weight without moving it when you want to just shake in place it seems.... thoughts>?

I've always felt like the NRX 852s is too stout for drop shot fishing unless you get up to 3/8 oz weights, or are "bubba shot" fishing around grass lines. In the NRX line, the actual drop shot rod, NRX 822s DSR does a much better job for fishing the lighter weights and for vertical fishing, again as long as you don't need heavy weights or aren't fishing around heavy cover. In my hands, the 852 is a world class 1/4 oz finesse jig rod, makes a great finesse t-rig rod, and handles a wacky senko as good as about any rod out there.

6. Member
    I have two 852S and enjoy drop shotting with 1/4 weights. Very versatile road. Most of the time I'm casting and not dropping vertically.

852s is an Amazing drop shot rod...most of the time I am using a 1/4oz weight. I highly recomend using braid to flouro leader..Also what reel is paired with it?
    Chris Beverly
    2005 Champion 206 Mercury Verado 275!!!

8. Member
    Currently with a ballistic

9. Member
    My new can do most thinks good rod is NRX 872. The 7'3" has a slightly lighter tip than 852 and extra casting length is great for flats /open water or when your a co angler needing one more cast as your pro is standing on the trolling motor.

Quote Originally Posted by golfpro307 View Post
    852s is an Amazing drop shot rod...most of the time I am using a 1/4oz weight. I highly recomend using braid to flouro leader..Also what reel is paired with it?
    What is your braid/fluoro combo that you use on Saguaro?
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

Quote Originally Posted by 86 inches View Post
    What is your braid/fluoro combo that you use on Saguaro?
    20lb Sunline Sx1 to 6lb Sunline Sniper.
    Chris Beverly
    2005 Champion 206 Mercury Verado 275!!!

12. Member
    Definitely go braid to fluoro. Braid is where you get pretty much all of your sensitivity. I use 15lb powerpro to 7lb sniper on both my drop shot rods.
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL