Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jack Plate Difference with and without

For those of you that have installed a jackplate on a bassboat that didn't originally have one, what type of performance change did you see? Was it worth the time and money. Curious if anyone can provide real world answers. I am sure they make a difference just curious how much.

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    My previous boat was a Skeeter SX 190 w/Yamaha 150.....i was able to drive it with and without a jp....the manufacturer stated that the boat didnt need a jp or setback cause it didnt improve performance....well it was speed demon but i did pick up a few mph's, handling was better and bow lift....overall it gave better performance....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

Typically you will see a few mph improvement. May also get a better holeshot but not always. Easier to dial in optimal performance, not just top speed but also handling, cruise economy, and rpm.

I didnt have one on my first boat for the first few months, and now I will never own another boat without one.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

One of the biggest improvements I seen in mine was rough water handling. With the jackplate, the prop leveraged the boat better so the boat was more responsive to the throttle. If I needed to get the bow up and I bumped the throttle a little, the bow came up much better than without the jackplate. It can mean the difference in driving through the next wave or over it. It also helped me maintain better top end with more weight in the boat

Jackplate gives you a little better leverage on the boat with it setting the motor back some distance.
    holeshot can improve and can gain a little on top end. the biggest thing is how you can adjust the motor height. that to me is worth the money for them and you can by them used pretty reasonably

I saw about 1-2 mph.

7. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    better handling, performance gain w proper prop and jackplate was 8 mph for me. over stock setup

picked up between 2 to 3 mph, just have too find the right set back for your boat. everyone loads their boat a little differently.

I saw about 6 mph after jack plate and a reworked prop. I did it all at the same time.

I took my motor off and put a 6 inch pro hi-jacker on about 9 months ago. It gave me 1-2 mph after install. Hole shot is the same, no complains. I am right at 60 now just me on my gps. I have not really adjusted it much. I am happy at my speed now. I am sure i can go up on motor cause w/p is at 20 psi. But my theory is... if its not broke, dont fix it.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

11. Banned
    What hull? That will make the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by cwilt View Post
    I took my motor off and put a 6 inch pro hi-jacker on about 9 months ago. It gave me 1-2 mph after install. Hole shot is the same, no complains. I am right at 60 now just me on my gps. I have not really adjusted it much. I am happy at my speed now. I am sure i can go up on motor cause w/p is at 20 psi. But my theory is... if its not broke, dont fix it.
    If you always went with that theory....then you wouldn't have put the jack plate on in the first place. Just sayin!
    Just can't leave well enough alone!!

98 Stratos 273 w/ 150 Faststrike

13. Member
    I'll agree with fastman151.

Quote Originally Posted by fastman151 View Post
    If you always went with that theory....then you wouldn't have put the jack plate on in the first place. Just sayin!
    Had a problem before i put JP on, wanted more speed (broken). I added JP got to 60mph's (fixed)

Before JP i had a 58-59 mph boat. Now i can say 60!
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

I have a 94 374 with a Faststrike 150,will I need to change the steering cable to add a jackplate?

16. Member
    I didn't and I bet you wouldn't either. I installed a 6" and had plenty of cable.

17. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    6 inch will be no problem w cables.

18. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    I ran my boat for 13 years with no jack-plate. When I installed two Talons I installed a 6" jack-plate. I gain around 1 mph on top end. However people claim you lose 1-3 mph when adding two shallow water anchors so had I just added a jack-plate and no shallow water anchors my gain in speed more than likely would be more than 1 mph.

19. Member
    installed a 8 in. manual on pro185, no problem with hydraulic lines and gained about 40 pounds. 0 mph.

20. Member
    When a jackplate is added, the engine has to be raised up just to get the prop shaft back where is was before. This is due to the angle of the transom. In many cases the engine can raised much more since the jackplate moves the prop back into cleaner water and the water rises behind the boat as it moves through the water.
    Once a jackplate is added, the usual procedure should be used to keep raising the engine until water pressure drops or speed drops due to the prop slipping. I think some would be surprised how much higher an engine can be run with a jackplate added.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast