Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Invader186S View Post
    When a jackplate is added, the engine has to be raised up just to get the prop shaft back where is was before. This is due to the angle of the transom. In many cases the engine can raised much more since the jackplate moves the prop back into cleaner water and the water rises behind the boat as it moves through the water.
    Once a jackplate is added, the usual procedure should be used to keep raising the engine until water pressure drops or speed drops due to the prop slipping. I think some would be surprised how much higher an engine can be run with a jackplate added.
    This ^^^^^

2. Member
    totally agree with procedure.

3. Member
    invader 186s/Fidgetcranker;8991369]This ^^^^^ [/QUOTE]

diff. hulls will respond differently, my hull when transitioning from a dead rise to a pad is designed to trap air and have an attitude of maybe 3-6 degrees if that. it also is a step transom or pad about 14'' aft so you cannot run the bow high at all or it will contact step which will scrub speed. to get the less drag and most lift and speed this pad has to stay just aft of the deadrise to be efficient and being a flat pad and running at a very low attitude it produces almost no swell or rise in water behind the boat. raise the motor any higher, water pressure drops below 12 pds. and it starts crabbing. I have already spun it out at this point. C/L is 3'' below pad and that was where it was fasten to the transom and a low water pickup will not help because of the reasons stated.
    Last edited by gaboy; 01-13-2018 at 03:05 AM.

4. Member
    The biggest thing I can say about a jack plate is being able to adjust your boats handling per load. If you load the boat heavy in the front you can adjust for it. And it also places the prop further aft of the "wash" your pad creates letting the prop get more bite in less turbulent water. This is what makes the boat more responsive and improves handling.
    Respect no wake zones, Evinrude guys need a place to race too ;)

2014 Bass Tracker Pro Team 175TXW, 75 Optimax. 6" CMC Manual jackplate, much improved hole shot, picked up about 2mph. I have to say that the Optimax just seems to run happier after installing the jackplate and making the necessary adjustments.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12