GAS TANK VENTING ON 198

On my 2005 it has become a pain to fill up at the gas pump. No matter what I try, I just cannot get the tank to vent. Is there something that needs to be cleaned or is there anything that can be done? It didnt always act this way, just has gotten worse over time.

2. Member
    I have an 05 188. I'm not sure if the 198 is exactly the same. I put the nozzle in upside down when filling the tank. It also makes a huge difference is you use a pump where the concrete slopes away from the pump and the boat is sloping away from the pump.

3. Member
    The hose could have sagged over the years or there might be a dirt dauber nest obstructing the vent hose.

I agree with Grupp, just having the starboard side lower, helps a lot when fueling up.
    Champion 206
    250XB

4. Member
    You probably have gas in your vent line try unhooking line from the tank and blow it out with an air hose your problem will be fixed

5. Member
    My vent lines were routed under the filler tube. Fuel would get in the lines and couldn’t get out. I rerouted the vent lines over the filler tube, problem solved.

6. Member
    I pulled everything apart on my 210 for the same reason, found the vent sagging. Tied it all back up and.... still spits out like crazy..... I sure wish I could fill up quickly and not get the boat and trailer drenched if I don't slow the fill down very, very slowly.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rustyed View Post
    I pulled everything apart on my 210 for the same reason, found the vent sagging. Tied it all back up and.... still spits out like crazy..... I sure wish I could fill up quickly and not get the boat and trailer drenched if I don't slow the fill down very, very slowly.
    My 210 is the same way. I also verified my vent hose was properly routed and unobstructed. Still didn't help. I can put the nozzle in upside down and it will take a fill at normeal speed except........................... when it is full and clicks off the pump it gushes out a heck of a mess all over the side of the boat. What a mess and it's a crying shame they can't engineer something that works. The best thing I have been able to do is that I wrap the nozzle with about 5 or 6 paper towels around the nozzle when I insert it into the filler neck. The back wash when it kicks off is absorbed by the towels. You still get gas all over your hands though when you remove the nozzle to throw away the paper towels. Sucks, but at least it keeps it off the boat.
    GETFISHED !!!

8. Member
    My 176 is a pain to fill as well..i think its due to the vent hose being below the filler neck...and i will not fill tank all the way up, because when you back down a steap ramp or take off fuel spits out vent hose.
    Bruce Phillips
    1995 190 DC champion ......1995 200 xri merc