fishing Canadian waters

so looking at fishing some water in both Ohio and Michigan and will probably want to go to the Canadian side what is needed to do so, have a googled it but dont know what is right, i am sure confused

2. Member
    I understand that you must check in with a customs location when fishing CAN waters. Yes, you must fund a location while in boat. I fish CAN side of LSC every year, but drive vehicle over, since checking in on-lake appears to be harder.

3. Member
    We fished the St LAwrence last year and found out you need a Canadian license, and you cannot step foot on Canadian soil or ANCHOR (even with Power poles). You may be approached by authorities to check your vessel, but you don't have to check in. Make sure you have a photo I.D. That's what I know-tightlines
    1999 Triton Tr-18
    1999 Johnson 150 (J150PLEE)
    Abu Garcia for life

4. Banned

5. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Other than what is posted above, the U.S. Border Patrol is typically much more stringent about checking documentation as you re-enter U.S. waters than the reverse. Still, I always carry my passport when in Canadian waters, especially if I’m much closer to Canadian than U.S. soil, in case of a storm or breakdown. “They” wouldn’t let you drown or (I think) throw you in jail without a passport, but if I have to land, I want the fewest possible issues. Passport is also excellent documentation coming back into the U.S. Border Patrol is much more vigilant in some areas than others. Around western Lake Erie, I see them almost every trip out. Must be a smuggler’s hotspot.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio