Thread: Atlas and maps

Atlas and maps

Since retiring 2 years ago we have been doing quite a bit of traveling and now having all the time in the world, we drive instead of fly. I have a nice GPS that is updatable but still like to have a paper map. Lately I've been having trouble reading the newer maps as the print is getting smaller and smaller. Looking to order one of the large print atlas' but wondered if they are easier to read. Any one have one and know how well you can see the detail?

Dale Sinclair original

2. Member
    I have not bought a new one in a few years, but the big atlas has plenty detail for both of us. I carry one in my truck. It has seperate pages blown up for major city areas.

3. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    Go to the dollar store and buy some cheaters

4. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    I have not bought a new one in a few years, but the big atlas has plenty detail for both of us. I carry one in my truck. It has seperate pages blown up for major city areas.
    Thanks John. I just like to have a map laid out in front of me to plan routes and use in conjunction with my GPS. I don't remember the print being as small as it is now on the new maps. I need a magnifying glass to see any thing.

Dale Sinclair original

5. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by basscla View Post
    Go to the dollar store and buy some cheaters
    I have a $900.00 seeing apparatus perched on my head any time I'm not in bed. Doesn't help with these new maps

Dale Sinclair original

6. Member
    We travel a lot. A couple of years ago I got a large print Rand McNally Atlas at Sam's club and use it all the time. Only problem is every time we want to go somewhere our destination seems to be located right at the point where the page ends the next one starts. Oh well, first world problems.

7. Banned
    IL >Tinley Park & Shawnee N.F. Lakes Explorer. Help..
    I always picked up 2 Big Book Atlas from my State Farm agent around Jan. 1 but the last few years they have handed out a mini Atlas >It is hard to find the state let alone highways and cities. I only have a few books left so I went to staples(still open ?) and got my favorite states laminated after I folded the page in half.If you know a garage saler, let them know you are looking for a Big Atlas of the United States and Canada.You can still find them for a $1 or $2 at garage sales..

8. Member
    One thing I do when I travel is get ahold of the Tourist bureau where I am headed and order free maps and tourist booklets....along with the route....AAA is a good source also....
    I hate using an Atlas just because they are so bulky and most of the darn things don't deal with your trip anyway so you are just lugging around dead weight....Just my opinion...

Same reason I use USGS TOPO maps when I am in the backcountry vs the regional stuff...

9. Banned
    Younger companion???... Dan

10. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan210Elite View Post
    That would be very expensive

Dale Sinclair original

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan210Elite View Post
    They wouldn’t know what they were looking at.

12. Member
    Actually, it's my younger wife that prefers the atlas. She calls the GPS "that bitch" IE if that bitch told you to turn into the river I bet you would listen to her instead of me.

My wife will read the paper map every day over the GPS. She turned her phone voice over to a dude LOL. She prefers the newspaper and real books over e-books for that matter. It's me that prefers audio books, e-books, and gps. I don't like all the clutter.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by local16 View Post
    I have a $900.00 seeing apparatus perched on my head any time I'm not in bed. Doesn't help with these new maps
    What is that?

14. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jigman51 View Post
    What is that?
    Bifocals

Dale Sinclair original

15. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    I have the DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer for multiple states...

I rely on them a lot in my work, the bulk of which is in very rural areas.
    Who controls John Gill?

16. Member
    Just drove 2500 miles on hunting trip with older friend. He uses large print Atlas and It worked very well
    and I like using it. His truck his rules and no complaint from me.

17. Member
    I had both, the large print and the regular maps. That was back when my eyes were better. The only negative on the large print map was that it didn't show smaller towns as much. Get one!

Personally, I prefer the Google maps on my phone, mounted on a magnetic holder, right in front of me. Not only does it get me where I am going, but it warns me if there is a wreck ahead, and suggests an alternative route. I'd guess a combination of both hard copy and phone maps would cover all bases.

18. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    Thanks everyone. I just ordered a Rand McNally large scale spiral bound road atlas from e-bay. Plan on using it in conjunction with my Garmin. We'll be heading to Sanibel Island for 2 weeks in January taking the long route down through Alabama with a few stops going and coming. Thanks again for the info

Dale Sinclair original

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hatcreek View Post
    I have the DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer for multiple states...

I rely on them a lot in my work, the bulk of which is in very rural areas.

+1
    Relied on DeLorme for decades--way back when they were a local company. Still use it for hunting/fishing the back country. Never rely on GPS when on dirt roads
    Last edited by BP in ME; 12-13-2017 at 08:36 AM.

20. Member
    Delorme individual state is the way to go