Yama 175 vmx sho 4 stroke repower on a Ranger 188vs

Took advantage of the extra 3 years on the extended warranty. My question is prop size? My dealer is finishing it up now and said he was going to put a tempest 21 on the motor. We discussed the break in period and I feel that it may be a lil under propped. Similar sized skeeters seem to run best on a 23 from what ive gathered over the internet..
    My boat is 18ft 8 inches with a dry weight of 1550. I cant seem to find many Rangers my size running 4 stroke Yamahas. My old motor was an 150 Evinrude Etec that ran a 22 prop. Im sure I will know more when I get the boat out there for my marathon 1 day break in period. However if anyone has any input I would appreiciate it.
    No jack plate yet.

Catch Release Repeat

I am with you, i think a 23 tempest will be more likley your prop. Ask dealer if you can try both?
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

3. Member
    My Skeeter with 175sho came with a 22 VMAX SHO prop. Runs good. I only get 5800rpm and that is with a hydraulic jackplate. I can get 6000rpm but loose water pressure.

4. Member
    Got the motor broke in rough first 3 hours.. The prop they put on it is a Solas Lexor 15x21 .. when the boat was empty I was getting 5800 rpms after I loaded it down with all my gear she’s only turning 5600. Looking for a shop around the Charlotte area that has props I can test. I need to be turning around 5900. With the price of the Yamaha props I would hate to buy one and it not help.

5. Member
    How is your hole shot? I’m thinking about putting the same motor on a 461

6. Member
    Call or email Mark Croxton and see what he recommends.