'05 TR186 Steering Cable Replacement

I am looking at replacing my stock rack & pinion steering w/dual cables this off season. Does anyone know what length of dual cable system a '05 TR186 takes? Any suggestions on rotary vs rack systems?

Note: I looked at installing a hydraulic system however I plan to sell/upgrade to a bigger rig this spring and don't want to drop any more than needed.

2. Member
    My 196 took 13. I would recommend going hydraulic. Much easier install.

3. Member
    Did you have to remove the motor in order to install your cables? I've read some say it's needed (to remove) due to the angle it comes out the port in the hull.

I would do hydraulic if I was keeping the rig for more than a year, but I plan to upgrade to a newer/bigger Triton this year and this was an unexpected repair needed to sell this spring.

4. Member

USA

If you are selling your rig, let the new owner decide on what they want. Or put the hydraulic on and charge more for the boat. It should make it a more tempting rig over a cable boat. Easier to sell.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ROADRUNNER View Post
    If you are selling your rig, let the new owner decide on what they want. Or put the hydraulic on and charge more for the boat. It should make it a more tempting rig over a cable boat. Easier to sell.
    This is what I did when I sold my skeeter. Was usable but stiff. Took $200 off the price and sold as is and the guy put hydraulic on it himself and had a $200 head start.
    1998 Tr-21, 2001 Yamaha 225 OX66

6. Member
    I didn't have to remove motor but I had an 8 inch jack plate.

7. Member
    The length of the steering cables should be stamped on the outer coating of the cables.

8. Member
    Well after a lot of thought, I decided to go ahead and install a seastar hydraulic system. Called Triton and they confirmed 14' hoses so I pulled the trigger yesterday. Probably going to hold onto my rig for another year or two then upgrade then.

9. Member
    Be aware you will have to drill out dash to accommodate helm. It's simple with a hole saw.

10. Member
    Thanks. Yep, I'm prepared for that if needed.