Hydraulic Steering Question

Was out yesterday and at higher speeds the boat wanted to steer/go to the right. Had to turn the wheel to the left to correct multiple times as it wanted to glide to the right. Is the system possibly low on fluid? At lower speeds you did not notice it that much, only running fast.

Is it just a matter of filling up the line at the helm if it’s low or is there a process I should follow?

Thanks for any replies/help.

2. Banned
    Have you made any jackplate/motor height adjustments lately?

3. Member
    Not sure what kind of motor you have but it sounds like your torque tab moved or fell off.

4. Member
    Hydraulic steering shouldn't slip due to torque from motor/prop setup if in proper working order.

Low fluid is your first check. Better than 50% odds.
    If low fluid persists, your cylinder might need new seals.

Bleeding the system is your second, maybe 20%.
    Likely A more severe manifestation of the above.

Stuck valve in the helm due to contamination causing corrosion is your third, which is unlikely in freshwater but more frequent in salt, ( been there) and requires pulling the helm , disassembling and cleaning up. 5% probability max in freshwater.
    You Don't Know what you Don't Know until you Know.

1984 Champion 201/Yamaha 175
    1986 Ranger 390v/Yamaha 200
    2002 Viper Cobra Coosa 216/Mercury 225EFI
    2002 ProSports ProKat 2200/Twin Yamaha 150HPDIs

Little more info.. boat-motor- speed at which this is occurring ?
    And conformation if it's slipping or pulling ??
    If it's "pulling" and only at speed I would sure check the fluid level just to be sure - However IMO low fluid should not cause a "pull"
    The times I've had low fluid it would have some slack or play in the steering at all times and slip when trying to turn under power.

6. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Mine does it too. I'm pretty sure it's a check valve in the helm letting a little bit of fluid leak by. My system is bled good. As long as it doesn't get worse, I'm not worried about it.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

7. Member
    My boat did the exact same thing. Running down lake and my boat kept heading the the other side of the lake. IMHO you have air in your hydraulic steering system. You probably have a leak in the system. You can bleed the system and see if that corrects the issue. Look closely at the seals at each end of the hydraulic steering cylinder. Check fluid level in the helm. It could be your helm assembly but most likely a leak.

8. Member
    Thanks guys for the replies. Checked the ends and did not see any fluid. Spoke with my mechanic and he said to get motor perfectly straight and slooowly turn to each side. If there’s a little slack in the wheel before it turns it was more than likely the seal inside the cylinder that has worn and allowing fluid to pass by until the wheel is turned enough to allow the seal to get on the rod where it’s not worn, which corrects the problem. There was some slack Turning to the right, but honestly very little. I’m going to check the fluid tomorrow.

9. Member
    bleed the system completely. have someone to turn the wheel all the way to one side and slightly open the valve at the cylinder opposite the rod exposed. have them turn the wheel the other direction and hold that position, snug purge valve closed. slightly open the valve on the other side of cyl. and do the same, repeat process until complete. catch fluid and do not let helm get low or you will introduce air in system.you will need a qt. of fluid to start with. google Teleflex.

10. Member
    Bleed first, fill the helm by turning all the way starboard, open and fill, all the way port, open and top off first. Sounds to me your helm has an issue if it keeps slipping.