Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Going strictly for Largemouth.

I would like some honest opinions about Mac's Landing Camp.

A few years ago my wife and I stayed at a fish camp on Lake Seminole. There were not thousands of cockroaches in the room, but millions. We slept in the car and upgraded to a new and more expensive accommodation at the same camp and made out alright.

Mac's Landing Camp. Good location in early April? Spawn still going on?

I know Harry's Fish camp is also close by ...

Thanks
    Craig

2018 Bass Cat Margay
    150 HP Mercury Four Stroke

2. Member
    I have put in there a few times. Seems like a nice place, but don't know about the rooms. That lady runs a tight ship, so I would speculate the rooms are clean. From there you can go either way to fish,....lower or upper....if you have a windy day.

My understanding is that Moultrie is the lake where one is compelled to escape the wind?
    Craig

2018 Bass Cat Margay

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjrich View Post
    My understanding is that Moultrie is the lake where one is compelled to escape the wind?
    In my opinion lake Moultrie is easier to get from place to place but is a giant bowl where wind can ruin your plans. From Ferguson back to the canal in Lake Marion it is sketchier getting around but wind doesn’t play as big of a role. I don’t fish taw caw side of Marion so I can’t speak on it.
    2018 Phoenix 819 / 2018 Mercury 200 Pro XS

Many thanks for the feedback.

How is fishing in the canal?
    Last edited by cjrich; 02-12-2018 at 07:09 AM.
    Craig

2018 Bass Cat Margay

6. Member
    cjrich,
    By any chance you are a veteran? There is the Short Stay on Moultrie, has cabins and a really good tackle shop. Quick run to the flats if you are going to fish there.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by usmc03 View Post
    cjrich,
    By any chance you are a veteran? There is the Short Stay on Moultrie, has cabins and a really good tackle shop. Quick run to the flats if you are going to fish there.
    x2 on tackle shop. You don’t have to be a veteran to visit the tackle shop. Just tell the guard at the gate that you want to go the tackle shop. If you get rained out one day it’s worth the trip.
    2018 Phoenix 819 / 2018 Mercury 200 Pro XS

I regret that I have never served. I did however work as a GS employee (Social Worker) for both the VA and Dept. of the Army.
    Craig

2018 Bass Cat Margay

9. Member
    Short Stay would not be a good choice, imho......due to wind.

How about the Canal Lakes Fish Camp right on the canal? It's an easy run to either lake. http://www.canallakesfishcamp.com/index.html
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

11. Member
    Blacks camp would also be a good starting point. It has a restaurant and is off the canal so you can go either direction. There's some good advice on here. I've fished down there for 20+ years in March and April. I'd avoid Saturday if possible. My best advice would be to trailer to a landing and explore from there, you don't need to be running from place to place by water unless you have experience. Popular areas will have a landing nearby.

I will be heading down from NC this weekend to Lake Marion. Years ago , i used to love to fish R-ville flats. Got stranded back there in a storm one afternoon. All the water was pulled out of the swamp back there. When the lightning came , we got out on the bank and went into the woods to wait it out. Watched helplessly as all the water went out of the cove like the tide going out. All the wind had pushed the water to the south side of the lake. Once it filled up, we got the hell out. On the way out, i saw a cut into a backwater area where a bridge used to be on a road bed. Water was rushing back into the swamp, and the bass were coming with it! Caught 14-15 LM on a spinnerbait in 20-30 mins time. Had it not been close to dark, it would have been one of my best days ever i think. Caught an 8.5 and a 6 in that spot. Lost a few other big ones too. Never have made back to that spot, but it shouldnt be hard to find. I bet Inky knows exactly where im talking about. :)
    2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    Kenny Hollingsworth<<<<<<<<<MY NAME!
    828 674 6752
    Hendersonville NC<<<<MY LOCATION!!

Will Moultrie be up to summer pool by the 24th.? Have not found any projections anywhere.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kybob View Post
    Will Moultrie be up to summer pool by the 24th.? Have not found any projections anywhere.
    I don't know what you consider Summer pool, but Lake Moultrie is only 6.5 inches below Full Pool now.

You should be fine.

Summer Pool / Full pool. Web site states that full pool is 75.50. It is right now @ 74.91. Was hoping to see level above 75 + in order to fish in the same areas I fished 2 years ago. Just saw where it had been at 75 and has started back down a little. It doesn't really matter anyway. We are coming down and will make the best of it whatever the level.
    Thanks. BTW, how is the fishing?

16. Member
    Yall killed em that day BQWK Great bag
    Matthew 6:33
    2020 921elite

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12