? about carpet restoration

My Aluminum RT 188 is the first boat I have owned that has to be stored outside under a factory cover. The boat is 4 years old and the carpet on the lids is turning black. The attached pic does not accurately show the contrast. The lids are darker than shown. Could this be mildew or mold? It does collect moisture under the black cover. Is there a way to restore this to the original gray color?

Attached Images Attached Images

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

2. Member
    Guessing no. Something under the carpet is soaking through. It being all aluminum I don't even have a clue what it could be. Some glass boats use a black primer on the lids... Is it just the front or aft lids or all??

Quote Originally Posted by FishinSkinny View Post
    Guessing no. Something under the carpet is soaking through. It being all aluminum I don't even have a clue what it could be. Some glass boats use a black primer on the lids... Is it just the front or aft lids or all??
    It is all the lids. One difference on the lids is that I installed insulation under them to stop the condensation from forming and dripping into the compartments. I installed the insulation about 2 years ago and did not notice the discoloration prior to that so it is a suspicious event.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

4. Member
    I would try a small area with spray carpet cleaner and lightly rub with brush and vacuum. Can't hurt to try it!

5. Banned
    I had an aluminum G3 and it did the same thing. Never knew what it was.