Which 2nd unit for front of aluminum Ranger?

Advice please. I bought a Garmin echoMap Chirp 93sv for the transom of my year-old aluminum bass boat the other day to replace a Lowrance Hook 5. Looking forward to the maps for inland lakes. Going to buy another unit of some kind for the front, probably another echoMap 93 or SRTIKER PLUS 93sv. I mainly fish Lake Martin, AL with light tackle lures, not live bait, for spotted bass and occasionally for crappie. Not interested in Panoptix for the foreseeable future. Pros and cons? Do I need a second set of maps up front? What would you do for this kind of fishing? Any other ideas?

Thanks,
    Apalach
    Last edited by Apalach; 12-11-2017 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Forgot to add no Panoptix in 1st post

2. Member
    I don't know anything about aluminum boats or any complications involving them. There are not any maps on the Striker units except the ones you create, so keep that in mind. You already have the echoMAP CHIRP 93sv so you have a Panoptix compatible unit. I would first urge you to reconsider Panoptix if you are going to crappie fish. I've used it for crappie fishing and now I can't do without it. Other than that it looks like you are on the right track. The maps or not is the decision you have to make. I've gotten to where I like having them available all the time.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

Lwinchester has given you some good advice. I would go with another 93 SV. They are just a great value. I have to double down on the Panoptics recommendation. I have found that it really sucks not to have it.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

4. Member
    Currently debating a similar situation.

5. Member
    I agree with the others. I like having a map available up front to see if any points, flats, or creeks are coming up. And will third the Panoptix recommendation. I don't use the maps all the time and I don't use Panoptix all the time. But they sure are nice to have available when the situation arises.

SE Kansas grass grower

ROCK CHALK

6. Member
    Thanks for your replies. Following your advice, I bought a second echoMap CHIRP 93sv yesterday, and an Ultra map chip. Good luck with your piscatorial pursuits....