Thread: Suicide

Banned

Suicide

A permanent fix for a temporary problem, I saw this wrote in a wall in our race car shop 25 years ago and remebthat when I found out a good friend of mine dad committed it this morning. Can't imagine what is going through the families mind today after finding out way and they way he did it. For family who I shall not name.

2. Lounge/Texas Club/Triton Boats Moderator Bobs21X's Avatar
    Depression is an evil creature and I agree about not understanding

3. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Hard to imagine, especially when family is preparing for the most joyous time of the year ...

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    Hard to imagine, especially when family is preparing for the most joyous time of the year ...
    That's the first thing I thought about, too. Christmas will never be the same.

Some of my best friend's son killed himself on Christmas Day a few years ago. You know that takes the joy out of the season every year.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

My sister did self death thing back in the 80's, never did understand but she was pretty self destructive most her life. I've gotten depressed, as I figure most folks get down from time to time, but I never could understand the permanent solution idea... Sorry to hear about the loss bud

~~~~~ Bury my soul where the blue bonnets grow ~~~~~~
    https://www.mccainfishing.com/

So sorry to hear this!

8. Banned
    This guy was on top of the worldmat one time then lost his job in the oil patch. Money, marital, alcohol then drugs took over and he couldn't handle it. He sure didn't see, like the type of guy that would do this.

Quote Originally Posted by TritonMan250 View Post
    This guy was on top of the worldmat one time then lost his job in the oil patch. Money, marital, alcohol then drugs took over and he couldn't handle it. He sure didn't see, like the type of guy that would do this.
    Quite sad... There's always a way out of the hole if you are this side of the dirt

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pYr8 View Post
    Quite sad... There's always a way out of the hole if you are this side of the dirt
    Very true Karl, they had said he was on the verge over the last few years. My question was why didn't they get him some damn help?

Hell, giving help by just sitting down & talking through the crap in life can help! When I was very down, friends & family worked to open me up & talk about the lows I was facing. I was lucky possibly, no telling how low I may have gone. People are generally afraid to get close to those situations, fearing it's too personal for the affected to share. BIG mistake! I've talked a few friends off the wall myself. Staying silent is never the best policy.

Hell, we have 23 vets committing suicide per day around us in America (8395/year). Some friends I helped were vets but all I did was listen with an open heart then encouraged them to get into a group to let them know they weren't alone. Sadly it isn't always helpful, but ya never know unless you try

13. Banned
    Sorry to hear about your friends dad, they say that more people kill themselves during the holidays than the rest of the year. I’ve always wondered if it was because of all the spending that’s required. Maybe it’s the cold and drab weather, anyways

14. Member
    Have seen it hit home closer than ever imagined the last 2-3 years. 2 of our best friends sons (19 & 23 years old), dad of my daughters soccer teammate, another dad of daughters friends in neighborhood. The pain is incredible for those left behind, but I have learned a lot about depression and how hard it is for others to see and the burden and crazy distorted way it gets the victims to think.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barbarian View Post
    The pain is incredible for those left behind, but I have learned a lot about depression and how hard it is for others to see and the burden and crazy distorted way it gets the victims to think.
    The first accurate assessment I've seen in this thread. I've always heard the "permanent solution... yada yada yada" quote too. I've said to people when I was a kid. Depression isn't about being blue or down on your luck. To people with depression, it's a permanent problem. It can be managed to some extent, but it's a juggling act. There are certainly exceptions, but most people who commit suicide aren't mad at the world or trying to ruin lives, although that's usually the result.
    Last edited by TX Strampion; 12-13-2017 at 07:34 PM.

Had a really eye opening experience regarding mental health after my ex-wife and I split. I got depressed to the point that I really did not care if I lived or died. I was fortunate in that I had a wonderful support system of family and friends that helped me through that period. I can absolutely understand where someone could make the choice to end their suffering rather than live with that pain. It is a real pain and cannot be fixed by trendy slogans. Sometimes requires professional help that many simply do not have access to. I wish suicide received as much attention and funding as some of the more popular causes.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

Up late listening to music from the past.
    Just ran across my sister's death knell

Tears & choke up
    Long time back, life goes on!