Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ordered a Caracal

I just ordered a Caracal from my dealer in San Antonio, and the wait is supposedly 14 weeks! Yikes. I almost jumped on a 2013 Cougar on consignment there. It is a real beauty and has 147 hours and LOTS of warranty remaining. But, I went wide instead! So, I will be watching this board now for all of the tips and tricks I can pick up. I'll be fishing Falcon and Choke Canyon mostly, plus a few other lakes most of you guys probably have never heard of. Gonna be fun...

2. Banned
    Didn’t you just order a 797 a few months ago, any particular reason for the change? Congrats though and Wayne seems like an awesome guy to deal with!

3. Member
    I did. For reasons that I just assume not get into, that order was cancelled. I am sure this one will proceed as planned. At least I hope so! And, you are right, I could have talked boats with Wayne all day. Great guy.

Congrats! I can imagine the next three months are going to be tough...

May see you around the area. I get to Choke occasionally. May hit Falcon this winter. You can usually find me on Canyon, the Guadalupe, Coleto Creek, or Calaveras (like catching Reds without getting in the salt). If you have any intel on Medina or any other small lakes in the area, I am all ears...and holler if you need info on the others...
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lasalle155 View Post
    I did. For reasons that I just assume not get into, that order was cancelled. I am sure this one will proceed as planned. At least I hope so! And, you are right, I could have talked boats with Wayne all day. Great guy.

Good choice on the Cat.

Intel on Medina: seems like those little dink will clobber anything that you throw into the water! I can’t find anything with any size though.

6. Member
    Sure, I'll be fishing Choke Canyon a lot. I'll see ya. I'll be in the sand and green Caracal, Mercury motor. You might want to try Lake Corpus Christi in the spring (also know as Lake Mathis). Heckuva frog lake when they are shallow. As is Choke. The fish at Choke will scare the wits out of you blowing up on a frog. Maybe you can teach me Coleto Creek. And, last, but certainly not least, is my old favorite, Fayette County Reservoir. A Carolina Rigger's dream lake.

We will make every effort to get this completed without a glitch.

;)

BCB

8. Member
    I also have a Caracal on order. The wait is definitely worth it! I am right now in the start of my 14th week. I’m really getting excited. I’m know it will be worth it. I have wanted a Cat for a long time and the Caracal is the perfect boat for me. I’m coming out of a 20 I-Class. Although it was a good big water ride, it was kinda barge like. And the big plus is, coming from an engineering and manufacturing background, I really appreciate the build process. To me it’s the only Boat manufacturer to go with if you’re not frequently changing out model years and planning on keeping it for the next 20 plus years. I am more than confident that these boats will maintain their beauty and be structurally sound for that entire time.

9. Member
    I agree, and thanks, BCB. I will tolerate this wait much better, because I have a backup boat. And I need to save more money for the down payment!! I almost, like I said, came home with the 2013 Cougar that Wayne has on consignment. And, the main reason I did not is because he has a Jaguar there, and I liked the idea of my next boat having that wide of a front fishing area. You would not think that a few inches of width would make much difference, but it does to me. I am not too concerned with the length of the boat. I have my fun on the front part. So, 19.8 is plenty. 225 HP is plenty also...I am going to have to see how close that trolling motor pedal is, being way up front like that. That may be the first change I make, even before it hits the water. But in all the pictures that I have paid attention to, I have not seen any bass cats with the pedal moved back. And, another thing that has me confused is the number of brand new 2018 boats listed for sale that do NOT have an Ultrex on them. Why would that be? That was probably the MOST important option for me on this new boat. Yeah, it costs a bit more, but, hey, it is a new boat! This fact weighed heavily when I was looking at used boats. I was going to have to spend about $2300 extra right off the bat on any used boat, because hardly any had an Ultrex. Now, you guys may not think its that big of a deal. That's only because you have never fished in a boat that has one...

Congrats!

11. Member
    once I got used to the forward T/M pedal on my dads cat I really liked it
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

12. Member
    I moved the pedal back on my Caracal, no issues. I ordered mine in 16 and it was a great experience! And a fantastic boat! Congratulations

Congrats. The pedal up front is awesome once you fish a couple of times like that. I have the Jag with the option and have left it in the forward position. I had a puma ft. and the wider deck is nice but don't let that fool you. The puma/cougar decks are plenty wide enough for most anglers. I got the Jag for the big water I fish and the ride. I'd kept the puma if I did not fish lake Ponchartrain so much. The puma/cougar rigs are really awesome fishing machines. The caracal is a great hull and you will enjoy it I am sure. The wait for the boat will suck as usual but the end result is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by mwadkins View Post
    I also have a Caracal on order. The wait is definitely worth it! I am right now in the start of my 14th week. I’m really getting excited. I’m know it will be worth it. I have wanted a Cat for a long time and the Caracal is the perfect boat for me. I’m coming out of a 20 I-Class. Although it was a good big water ride, it was kinda barge like. And the big plus is, coming from an engineering and manufacturing background, I really appreciate the build process. To me it’s the only Boat manufacturer to go with if you’re not frequently changing out model years and planning on keeping it for the next 20 plus years. I am more than confident that these boats will maintain their beauty and be structurally sound for that entire time.
    Yes, it's worth it. I came out of a 20 i, myself. It is different boat, no doubt, and it takes some seat time to adjust. I am pleased with mine!!!
    22 BassCat Lynx
    22Mercury proXS
    Hummingbird/garmin
    ALX rods/Shimano /Lews
    Maxwell Flying inc

15. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    You'll love that Caracal. I bought my 2015 with 19 hours on it from Sherm, in March of 2016. Traded my CougarFTD in. I had two Cougars and loved that model. However, the extra width on the Caracal was the deal maker for me. If I didn't have to use the butt seat, the Cougar would have been wide enough, but I need that seat to maintain my balance. With rods laying on the deck and the seat in on the Cougar, for me, it was hard to get around up there on the bow. With the Caracal, that is no issue. The boat rides great, fishes great and has plenty of speed around 70+mph if you want to go that fast.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

16. Illinois Club | PC/Mac Tips & Tweaks Moderator sgt93's Avatar
    Congrats!
    2017 Bass Cat Phelix Honda 25 SOLD
    2007 BCB Cougar FTD Merc Opti 225 SOLD

Instagram: @SSgt93.
    I don't subscribe to threads. PM if you need me.

17. Bobby8
    I might see you sometime at Choke. I just bought a beautiful 2015 Caracal from a great guy in Virginia. Mine is gray, red and white. Have fun.

18. Member
    Congratulations

19. Member
    My buddy has a 2016 Cougar and we alternate trips, I have a Caracal. You will enjoy the width of the Caracal front deck. Congratulations on the order. Make sure they give you all the boat show warranty deals on the motor.

Great choice...you won't regret it!
    1998 202 DC / Mercury 300R

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast