With all the talk

Since there has been a lot of discussion in reference to motors and speed ect. I thought I would ask this question again. I was watching boat racing last week on the tv which I do ever time it is on. Not 100% sure what division, I think it maybe formula boat racing??? Single console boat that run in a circle course and can cut on a dime.... What I have noticed is that 99.9% of the time the motor on the back of those boats are Mercs. I think one time I saw one boat running a Dihutsu or something like that. Never seen a E-tec or a Yamaha even though I know the Yamaha's are very good on performance especially with some extra tweeking. Extra tweeking is what racing is all about. Why do you not see other manufactures? just curious.
    2005 21XD W/ 2005 MERC 250XS BULLET TOTAL PERFORMANCE BOAT!!

2. BBC SPONSOR
    Probably because the other manufacturers do not have a racing divison/support.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

3. Member
    ???? But i thought the e-tecs were a dominate in alot of the drag boats

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassworm1 View Post
    ???? But i thought the e-tecs were a dominate in alot of the drag boats
    Sorry I was not aware of the E-tecs and drag boats.
    2005 21XD W/ 2005 MERC 250XS BULLET TOTAL PERFORMANCE BOAT!!

5. Member
    The formula's are likely still running the obsolete S3000 mercury engines. They are mercury's but soon to run out, haven't been in full production in 10 years. They spin 11k rpm ish, so no etec will stick with it. And you don't need torque because the boats weigh like 400lbs. The e-tecs are doing pretty good in drag racing, though they are limited to what classes they can run. The main reason is merc was the only one who really pursued the racing division thing through the 90's and early 00's. Now, merc doesn't really have much by the way of racing outboards either. It's going to be a dying sport here shortly unfortunately.

6. Member
    Your Right OP. That’s what makes it so sad. Yamaha doesn’t even have a race division but is now capable (with a few mods)of outperforming a Mercury’s 400r.

A lot cheaper to mod the Yamaha then buy the 400r

2005 Stroker 2010-250pro xs